Embarrassingly enough, I admit that I didn’t even know what challah was before coming to college. However, once I got to UVA, my friend got me involved in Challah for Hunger; I immediately realized 1) how delicious challah bread is and 2) the amazing things CfH at UVA is accomplishing.

And no, you don’t have to be Jewish to get involved in Challah for Hunger.

1. The proceeds go to both local and national charities

challah

Photo courtesy of CfH at UVA on Facebook

Half of the profits go to MAZON (a national Jewish organization fighting hunger) and half go to the Blue Ridge Area Food Bank here in Cville.

So far, CfH at UVA has donated over $46,000 and baked over 13,000 loaves of challah.

2. Volunteering for CfH works with any schedule

challah

Photo courtesy of CfH at UVA on Facebook

There are opportunities to volunteer Tuesday afternoons, Wednesday afternoons and Thursday mornings/afternoons. You can also organize group volunteering with your CIO, hallmates, fraternity, sorority or any other organization.

3. You can earn free challah

challah

For every 10 hours you volunteer at CfH, you get a FREE challah. If that’s not enough incentive in itself, I’m not sure what is.

4. You learn some serious baking skills

challah

CfH at UVA makes its challah from scratch, so volunteers get to be a part of the whole process. From dough-making (which, by the way, is a serious arm workout) to braiding to baking, you’ll be a challah expert after just a few times.

As Kristen Kinneberg, the CfH at UVA VP of Baking states, “Baking has always been one of my biggest hobbies and I’ve enjoyed my time in CfH because It’s given me a chance to do what I love in a fun way that is for a good cause. Most of my involvement has been in the baking process, and I’ve had fun experimenting with new challah flavors and getting to know volunteers.”

5. Everyone is welcome — no application necessary

challah

At a school where it seems you have to apply for nearly everything, it’s refreshing to get to skip that step to be a part of CfH. Plus, everyone is very welcoming, and it’s a great way to meet new people.

6. There are leadership opportunities

challah

In order to be an official member, you have to attend 2 general body meetings and volunteer at least 10 times. After that, you can run for exec positions such as President, VP of Public Relations, Membership Chair and even VP of Baking (which would definitely be a conversation starter on a resume).

Also, first years can apply to be a Dorm Representative. I served as the Dillard Dorm Rep last year, and it was a great way to get some low-stress leadership experience.

7. Challah is delicious 

challah

Photo by Evan Sung

From Cinnamon Sugar to Garlic Rosemary to Chocolate Chip (plus plain & the Flavor of the Week), they make challah for all types of palettes. You can preorder with this order form, or just show up to the lawn sales on Thursdays and hope that they’re not all gone.

How to get involved:

• Like the CfH at UVA Facebook page and follow CFH on Instagram & Twitter
  • Volunteer: Tuesdays at 4 pm for Dough-Making and/or Wednesdays at 4 pm for Braiding & Baking (email virginia@challahforhunger.org to sign up)
  • Buy challah on the lawn from 10am-2pm on Thursdays
  • Check out their website
challah

Photo courtesy of CfH at UVA Facebook page