Ramadan is here again; it is the ninth month of the Islamic calendar and Muslims around the world abstain from eating and drinking from sunrise to sunset. However, the holy month is not only about avoiding food, but about building your character and becoming a better person overall. Ramadan is fun because it encourages spending quality time together with your family, but it also has its own struggles. Here are seven things every Muslim can relate to this Ramadan.

1. When you sleep and miss Sahur

Sahur is the pre-dawn meal eaten before the morning prayer used to replace the traditional breakfast meal during Ramadan. Missing sahur can be quite distressing because you don’t get to eat anything till sunset. (Imagine missing breakfast and not being able to eat until dinner.)

2. Waking up 5 minutes before Sahur end

Hey! It's a food marathon. You have to eat to fill up for the rest of the day.

3. "Not even water?"

Literally every Muslim during Ramadan gets asked this question. It’s hard to explain to all your non-muslim friends that you have to abstain from eating and drinking from “sunrise to sunset” and you are not allowed to drink water. It becomes more annoying when they try to force you to eat/drink while promising not to tell your family, or when they taunt you with pictures of food and drinks...but hey, it’s all part of the fun I guess.

4. Waiting on Iftar like…

You have mastered the art of telling time during Ramadan. You know when it's almost time to eat. 

5. This is you at iftar…

What you plan to eat versus what you actually eat are two different things.

6. The struggle to pray Taraweeh

When the Imam starts with Alif Laam Meem on the first rak'ah of Taraweeh—meaning you have to stand for hours.

7. You slay your Eid outfit

You realize the whole struggle was worth it and you wouldn't ever want to miss the holy month. 

#SpoonTip: To know more about Ramadan, learn about 

Ramadan Iftar food from around the world.