A new year brings New Year's resolutions and the inevitable yearly resolution of eating healthier. And while it's not too hard to find healthy ideas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with the endless meal prep ideas on the internet, it can be difficult to find healthy snacks when it's simply easier to grab a bag of chips. 

Whether it's a snack to eat while binging your newest television show or studying for your exams, here is a list of healthy snacks that will keep you full, fueled, and focused without breaking any resolutions. 

1. Drink Some Water

lemon, water, lemonade
Caroline Liu

A study published in the Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics supported the idea that drinking more water could help lower your caloric intake as well as lower your consumption of sugar, sodium, saturated fat, and cholesterol. I've also heard it said that because of dehydration, our bodies can become confused and we may even feel hungry when really we are thirsty.

Plus, drinking more water is never a bad thing. When it isn't extremely hot like in the summer, we can forget to stay hydrated in the cooler months. If you're feeling even just a little hungry, try drinking some water and then see how you feel. Or even drink some water to tide you over while you prepare a healthy snack for yourself instead of impulsively grabbing something.

2. Hummus and Carrots

Emily Petruska

One of my favorite snacks for studying, hummus and carrots, keeps you full and focused in the long run. You can make any of these amazing hummus recipes or you can buy the prepackaged version if it's easier. 

While hummus is usually eaten with pita bread or pita chips, adding vegetables not only helps you get in more servings of vegetables in a day but also cuts out that unnecessary sodium from the chips. With the crunch of fresh carrots dipped in all that delicious plant-based protein, it's a wonder why you haven't tried this before.

3. Fresh Fruits and Vegetables

vegetable, tomato, carrot, pepper
Christin Urso

Fresh fruits and vegetables are the perfect snack to have stocked in your fridge for easy snacking. You can cut them up in advance for easy meal prepping during the week or even throw the leftovers into your meals for cooking later. 

Snacking on fruits and vegetables not only keeps you full throughout the day with a steady flow of energy, but it also helps you get in those daily doses of fruits and vegetables that you know your parents are worried you're not getting in college. Plus, you can spice it up with any dips you have lying around or make yourself!

4. Frozen Fruit

sweet, berry, blueberry

Besides being the perfect ingredient for smoothies, frozen fruit can also be eaten plain for a quick and easy snack to cool you down or just give you something to snack on while you watch Netflix or do homework. You can either freeze the fruit yourself or buy fruit already frozen from the grocery store.

Sometimes I just want something cold to snack on or something sweet for dessert, and frozen fruit does just that! And the best part is that frozen fruit doesn't go bad as fast as fresh fruit does.

5. Chickpea Puffs (Do Your Research!)

If you don't have a way to keep those fruits and veggies cold, these chickpea puffs are perfect for on-the-go snacking. My brother was addicted to cheese puffs so in an effort to make our family a little healthier, my mom introduced these chickpea puffs to our pantry - and they've been gone as soon as she opens the bag ever since.

If you can't bear to part with your favorite snack that you've deemed "unhealthy," do your research and see if you can find a "healthy" alternative! Veggie straws, bean crisps, and even dried seaweed can all be alternatives to your favorite chips if you're looking to make a healthier switch.

6. Mashed Avocado and Rice Chips

Emily Petruska

As a broke college student, I don't have the time or money to be paying extra for guac or even buying all of the ingredients just to make my own, especially when I'm on the meal plan. But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy a good avocado. 

This new twist of avocado on top of a rice cake is perfect and keeps you full because you're eating healthy fats. The combination of smooth avocado and crispy rice chips is great for when you're hungry but don't have time to make the trip to the dining hall just yet.

7. Skinny Pop Popcorn

From movie nights to snacking while studying in the library, popcorn is the perfect snack for on-the-go or in the comfort of your dorm. While some popcorn brands might not be the healthiest because of their high sodium or fat content, plain popcorn can just be too plain so Skinny Pop has got your back. 

Skinny Pop popcorn comes already popped for when you need a snack around campus, but you can also pop it yourself in this pop up container for when you want that freshly popped taste or want to flex on your friends for a movie night.

Whether you're running around campus, have a break at work, or chilling at home, these snacks are not only quick and easy, they're also good for you. Besides, it's always good to switch it up from your average granola bar and go for something fresh that you've made yourself. So don't fall off your New Year's resolution just yet and if you have, jump back on because these snacks will have your body thanking you.