Finals are right around the corner, and the struggle of stress eating during this time is definitely real. You may have seen a similar article about stress-fighting foods, but different semesters call for different foods.

Instead of putting unhealthy junk food in your stress-ridden body, try the following healthy and useful foods to relieve your stress and wash your worries away.

1. Avocados

stress

Photo by Julia Maguire

High in potassium and super trendy, these guys are one of the best ways to reduce high blood pressure. Avocados are also full of vitamin B, which is good because vitamin B deficiency is researched to cause feelings of anxiety.

If you’re feeling a little crazy, try this recipe for crunchy beer-battered avocados, and you’ll forget all your worries, guaranteed.

2. Milk

stress

Photo by Eury Fabian

It’s good for more than just mustaches. One glass gives you the protein  you need to lower your blood pressure and the potassium to relieve muscle tension.

3. Oranges

stress

Photo by Marlee Goldman

Have you heard of cortisol? Yeah, he’s the little jerk of a hormone running around your system that wants you to be just as uptight as he is.

Oranges are rich in Vitamin C, which is known to force feed cortisol a chill pill while also lowering your blood pressure. An orange a day keeps the panic attack away.

4. Oatmeal

stress

Photo by Gabby Phi

We’ve all seen those “part of a balanced breakfast” commercials. Well if you haven’t figured it out by now, those things are actually telling the truth.

Eating oatmeal helps get the feel-good chemical serotonin flowing in your brain. Serotonin has a soothing effect that helps relieve stress. It’s the kind of drug trip your mom would actually want you to take.

5. Chocolate

stress

Photo by Rachel Livengood

This is a public service announcement from the gods. Chocolate, in moderation, can actually make you feel better. Dark chocolate is known to lower blood pressure, lower levels of stress hormones, and release serotonin.

You can even de-stress and get your chocolate intake at lunch by incorporating it into your grilled cheese sandwiches. Again, moderation is key; have it your way, but don’t get crazy.

6. Spinach

stress

Photo by Irina Chalaguina

Popeye must have been as calm as a cucumber with the amount of spinach he was eating. Spinach is filled with magnesium, which also helps to put our old friend cortisol in his place to promote a feeling of wellbeing.

It may not be a stereotypical comfort food, but it will provide you some comfort knowing that you are helping yourself become stress-free in a healthy way.

7. Tea

stress

Photo by Jennifer Cao

A study showed tea drinkers feel calmer and have lower levels of the hormone cortisol after stressful situations. Try some chamomile tea and get a bonus of a calm and peaceful sleep.

Go on and start your anti-stress eating. And if you’re still craving more information, you can check out this article.

Still stressed out? Check out these articles: