Monsoon is called the season of love. Not only does it bring out our hidden Rumi, but it also gives us a reason to channel our 8-year-old selves and indulge in water fights and paper boat races.

For me, this love invariably involves food. There’s just something about eating certain snacks with the sight of rain pouring down in front of you. Add to that the smell of fresh earth and life becomes nowhere short of heavenly bliss!

1. Samosa

monsoon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

These fried pockets of sin and deliciousness are without doubt the best selling items during monsoon. Pair it with green chutney or have it with hot piping jalebis, this is one snack no one can refuse.

The best part is that it never fails to surprise you with its variety. From the traditional potato filling, to chicken samosas, to macaroni filled samosas – there is something for everyone.

2. Chowmein

monsoon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Local noodles with lots of soya, vinegar and oil, tossed with veggies; this 5 minute snack is just what we need to satisfy our ever increasing monsoon cravings. Diet, what diet?

3. Aaloo Tikki

monsoon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

Just the thought of this crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside snack is enough to activate our salivary glands. Have it just like that or top it up with dollops of yogurt and chutney, either way it is one hell of a bite!

4. Corn on Cob

monsoon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

The salty charred taste of corn on cob or bhutta sold by the roadside vendors is truly the flavor of Indian monsoon. This inexpensive snack, with its high nutritional content, has time and again brought a smile to many faces.

Flame grilled corn is easy to replicate either on a grill or even on a gas burner in the kitchen. It takes just a few minutes and you can eat it right off the cob or slice off the kernels and add them to a salad. You can even grate some cheese to add that nice zing to it.

5. Pav Bhaaji

monsoon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

I can’t even begin to count the number of mouth watering snacks that can be derived from Pav. However, what I can count is the number of times I can have vada pav as a meal in a day – all 3 times!

6. Pakoras

monsoon

Photo courtesy of Flickr

No monsoon memory is complete without fresh hot pakoras and piping cutting chai. Forget about your diet and have your pick of onion, potato, green chilly, paneer or the versatile bread pakoras. Dip them in delicious green chutney while you curl up next to the window with your favorite book.

7. Momos

monsoon

Photo by Sabhyata Badhwar

Though momos are a favorite snack during every season, momos during monsoon are noteworthy. A plateful of these with spicy garlic chutney or mayonnaise is stuff foodie dreams are made of!

Bonus:

Noodles

monsoon

Photo by Tarunima Kumar

Because my conscience just does NOT allow me to wind up this article without mentioning my favourite noodles – Maggi. And because I’m a hopeless optimist who is still waiting for my favorite rainy day snack to come back. FSSAI, y u do this? *rolls to a corner and cries*