Chanukah includes all the best parts of a holiday: family, friends, presents… But most importantly, food. My family makes the same delicious recipes every year, and I am always counting down the days until I can eat them. Sometimes I’ll even slip a little piece of brisket to my dog, so he can enjoy the holiday too.

Every family has their own version of these Chanukah foods, but these are the foods no Jewish person can go without.

Matzo Ball Soup

This classic dish always hits the spot. The combination of protein and carbs gives you exactly the fuel you need to open presents.

Gelt

These chocolate coins always prove to be super addicting, especially after a couple rounds of dreidel with your crazy cousins.

Blintzes

A photo posted by Kellie Alkayam (@mini_beasttt) on Oct 25, 2015 at 12:19pm PDT

You can aim for savory by filling these babies with mushrooms, onions, and potatoes, or you can get a sweet taste by topping off the cheesy goodness with a smear of jam. Either way, your stomach will be thanking you.

Rugelach

Like a croissant on steroids, these delicious treats have a magical mixture of cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, and chocolate on the inside that’ll make you forget how many times you’ve been asked, “Have you met a nice jewish boy yet?”

Brisket

A photo posted by @secretstan on Nov 9, 2015 at 4:33pm PST

Nothing says it’s a Jewish holiday more than a tender, juicy brisket thats been roasting in the oven all afternoon. The caramelized edges always have me trying to snag a slice before dinner is served, only to get scolded by my mom to wait for the rest of the family.

Sufganiyah

A photo posted by BBYO Passport (@bbyopassport) on Nov 5, 2015 at 12:34pm PST

Fried dough filled with jelly or custard that makes all of my family’s dreams come true. Except for my grandpa’s hopes of me becoming a doctor or a lawyer.

Latkes

It’s really not Chanukah without classic potato pancakes. Topped with applesauce, they hit both the sweet and savory taste buds every time. Nothing makes the holiday better than the smell of fresh baked latkes taking over the whole house.