Every time we go through our supply of fruits and vegetables there are always scraps that get thrown away. If recycling or gardening is something you’re about check out these foods that can be regrown using what is left over of them.

1. Celery

foods

Photo by Kelly Redfield

Celery is a great food as it provides us with vitamin K, A, and C, as well as potassium and dietary fiber. It makes a great tailgate food, and is filling. Save the base of it and you can regrow it. Here are some clear directions.

Lemongrass

foods

Photo courtesy of savingdinner.com

Not only does Lemongrass have many vitamins, but it is also known to help with digestion, keep skin healthy, fight depression, and heal colds and the flu. Sometimes it can be difficult to find, but if you save the roots you can regrow them. Follow these directions.

Potatoes

foods

Photo by Lauren D’Amore

Potatoes are known for being filled with potassium. They are a staple in most of our diets, and are great for a balanced meal. You can regrow potatoes by saving the peelings of them that have “eyes”. Find out how to do it here.

Lettuce

foods

Photo by Hannah Fullmer

Lettuce is something I am constantly buying to make greats salads, or to add to most recipes that I create. It has barely any fat and is loaded with Omega-3 Fatty acids. If you save the left over leaves lettuce is one the simplest foods to regrow. Watch this video to learn how.

Bean Sprouts

foods

Photo courtesy of seriouseats.com

Bean sprouts are filled with protein and vitamin C. They are great to add to soups, sandwiches and salads. Gather some of the beans and put them in a jar with a bit of water. The next day drain the water from the jar, and put a towel on top of the jar. Keep them in the jar with the towel, but rinse the beans once a day until the sprouts are the size of your liking.

Ginger

foods

Photo courtesy of LifeHack.org

Ginger is a great flavor to add to many of the foods we eat. It is said to have many natural medicinal properties because of its main ingredient Gingerol. This is a low maintenance food to regrow as you just need to put a piece of the root in soil, but the process may take a while.

Pineapple

foods

Photo by Kendra Vaculin

Pineapple is an amazing fruit. Not only does it taste delicious when you are craving sweets, but it is also great for many savory dishes. This fruit is filled with vitamin C and manganese and are a great way to get your dietary fiber. They may take longer than these other foods to regrow, but if you save the crowns of them you may be able to achieve it. Follow these steps.