Summer is right around the corner, which means it’s time to throw some clothes in a duffel bag, break out a roadmap and head for a destination a bit more scenic than your dorm room.

While many college students head down south to the beach, Spoon University knows there’s more to summer than scoring some cheap beer and margaritas. That’s why we’ve put together a comprehensive list of travel destinations chosen for, you guessed it, their exotic cuisines.

New Zealand

travel

Photo by Justin Shannin

If the country’s diverse geography isn’t enough to interest you in New Zealand, you ought to take a look at their restaurants. Pavlovas, yogurt and desserts are topped with a rainbow of locally grown fruits ranging from kiwi to the exoctic feijoa.

If you have a hankering for something more substantial, order up an entree of lamb shank with a side of roasted tuber (New Zealand’s take on the sweet potato).

Burma

travel

Photo by Kevin Tsukii

Burma’s borders are now open after many years of political isolation and food lovers are clamoring for plane tickets. Burmese cuisine combines concepts from more popular Thai and Vietnamese dishes and ingredients common in Chinese and Indian dishes to create a flavor distinctly its own.

Try a bowl of mohinga, a rice noodle and fish soup that’s commonly eaten for breakfast but can be purchased from roadside stalls any time of day.

Peru

travel

Photo by Lila Seeley

Health nuts will go gaga over Peru’s locally grown superfoods such as quinoa, amaranth, lucuma and maca. These are incorporated into dishes made unique by the multicultural population of indigenous people and Chinese, Japanese and Spanish immigrants.

It’s no wonder most Peruvian children report aspirations of becoming chefs after growing up with such a thriving local food scene.

Georgia

travel

Photo by Parisa Soraya

This travel spot may appear tiny when compared to its neighbor Russia, but Georgia’s culinary scene is hard to overlook. Local ingredients are combined in original dishes such as khachapuri, a cheese bread baked with an egg on top, and badrijini nigvzit, eggplant seasoned with walnuts and pomegranate seeds.

Refuel after a day of strolling through the capital city’s renowned museums with an order of khinkali, the national dish of meat pie.

Switzerland

travel

Photo by Olivia Henry-Jackson

There’s a lot of hype around this European country’s chocolate and cheese and for good reason. Start your day with a bowl of muesli, then spend the afternoon indulging with a ride on the chocolate train, a tour of the Lindt factory and relaxing with an hour of chocolate spa treatments.

Balance out your sweet day with a spicy dinner of fondue made with locally sourced Appenzeller cheese.

Sri Lanka

travel

Photo by Kendra Valkema

Any fan of Indian food needs to take a cruise down to Sri Lanka for an island inspired twist on the classic rice and curry combo. Take coconut rice, for example, a sweet concoction that pairs perfectly with the wide variety of fresh fish offered by the island. Gluten free travelers will love the fried sweets made with coconut and rice flours.

Jamaica

travel

Photo courtesy of eatjamaican.com

While travelers may be drawn to this island by the promise of fresh tropical fruits and flowing bottles of rum, food lovers will be pleasantly surprised by the range of exotic dishes offered. The leafy green callaloo may put an end to your kale obsession, especially when served alongside a steaming bowl of stewed goat or oxtail.

If you’re in the mood for something sweet try a glass of the bright pink, ginger-flavored hibiscus tea called sorrell.

Craving even more global cuisine? Check out what’s on these worldly plates: