Alas, finals week is upon us, and the library has extended its hours for the multitudes of late-night and early-bird studiers. Inevitably, we’ll heed its calls and flock to those hard backed chairs, fidgeting uncomfortably and trying to stay awake as we finish that essay.

For most of us, fighting heavy eyelids is an all too familiar battle. Here are a few must-have finals week snacks to keep you from falling asleep in your textbook.

1. Ice water

finals week

Photo by Leigh Pond

Be it sickness or stress, water seems to be the go-to solution for any health conundrum. Of course it keeps you hydrated, but get this: ice water can act as a better stimulant than coffee.

The coldness helps to keep you alert with each sip, and the more you drink of it, the more trips you’ll have to make to the bathroom. Getting up and moving is another way to help you make it through the night.

2. Red Bull

finals week

Photo by Leigh Pond

Sure, there are lots of people who shun energy drinks, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Red bull offers a sugar-free variety, which helps to cut back on some of the negative nutritional values.

Energy drinks in excess can cause you to crash later, so I always save this little guy for the home stretch. You may not be proud when that can is empty, but if caffeine is your saving grace this week, Red Bull is sure to deliver.

3. Apple

finals week

Photo by Maggie Gorman

Many studies have examined what it is in apples that helps to keep you awake, and the answer is just about everything. The actual crunch of eating an apple can snap you out of it and the natural glucose helps to elevate your energy with less chance of a crash later.

4. Dark Chocolate

finals week

Photo by Leigh Pond

Any excuse to justify eating chocolate is A-okay with me. The trick here is opting for the darker varieties, in order to maximize caffeine benefits from the chocolate. The higher the cacao concentration the better, which actually has multiple benefits. While you won’t be lulled into a milk chocolate dream, you can rely on the bitterness of dark chocolate to coax you through Chapter 7.

5. Minty Gum

finals week

Photo by Leigh Pond

It may not pack the same punch as a 5-hour-energy, but the powerful minty flavor helps to wake you up and give a jolt of energy. Plus, studies have shown that chewing gum while studying, and again when testing helps to you to recall information. Two birds, one stone.

6. Citrus fruit

finals week

Photo by Paulina Lam

Oranges, lemons and grapefruits, oh my. Seriously, citrus fruits are incredible for so many reasons, from their refreshing taste to their high levels of Vitamin C.

Besides boosting your immune system during this time of sleep deprivation, the smell of citrus also acts as a stimulant to keep your brain sharp.

7. Walnuts

finals week

Photo courtesy of walnuts.org

Two things you need to know: First, Omega-3 is a fatty acid that our bodies break down into usable energy. Second, walnuts have the highest concentration of Omega-3 than any other nut, and they’re delicious. Meet your new best friend, the walnut.

When you need a study break, check out these stories: