There are some days when the only thing keeping you from going absolutely insane is a gourmet drink from a local coffee shop. I have carefully selected the seven best cafe beverages that will save you in any situation you come across on campus.

1. When You’re Pulling An All-Nighter: Coffee 

Coffee Shop

Photo by Brooke Peterson

You can never go wrong with a good ole cup of joe for the nights when you’re up studying for hours. Just make sure to wait until 9 or 10 pm to buy a cup to ensure you don’t crash just as you start to make progress.

2. When You’re About to Take An Exam: Green Tea Latte

Coffee Shop

Photo by Ella Storey

Green tea helps you focus and gives you energy due to the reduced amount of L-theanine (an amino acid that assists with alertness) and addition of caffeine. Though I know the chai tea latte is a classic, a green tea latte is an earthy and unique way to kickstart your day before an exam.

3. When It’s Just Too Damn Cold: Hot Chocolate

Coffee Shop

Photo by Brooke Peterson

Hot chocolate is everyone’s favorite comfort drink, but we all know it’s miraculously better when purchased from a coffee shop. Topped with a dollop of whipped cream and some marshmallows, hot cocoa always hits the spot. No one is too old for this decadent treat.

4. When You’re Ready For Spring Break: Raspberry Lemonade 

Coffee Shop

Photo by Brooke Peterson

The time has come to stop overlooking lemonade when you hit up the coffee shop. With mouth-watering flavors such as raspberry or strawberry, lemonade will give you a little taste of spring no matter what the weather is outside.

5. When You’re Hungover & Can’t Even: Gatorade or Coconut Water 

Coffee Shop

Photo by Ella Storey

When you wake up hungover on a Sunday morning (or Monday or Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday… no judgement) all you need is to regain those lost electrolytes. Gatorade and coconut water are both typically sold at coffee shops, and will help you feel like a semi-real person again in no time.

6. When You’ve Had Too Many Shots: Blended Drinks

Coffee Shop

Photo by Brooke Peterson

Grab a good friend, some fried food and a thick shake. A pit stop at the cafe for a blended drink or milkshakes is definitely the play when you’re seriously considering eating that friend if you didn’t get some grub stat. Take a deep breath; the creamy simplicity of a chocolate shake will never let you down.

7. When You’re Ready To Relax: Flavored Steamed Milk

Coffee Shop

Photo by Brooke Peterson

If you’re in the mood for a drink that can help mellow you out, steamed milk is a great option. Ask for some flavored syrup in your drink, such as hazelnut or caramel, to make it a perfect dessert that’s not too heavy (and caffeine free).

If you’re a coffee guru, you might wanna see what else is on Spoon: