We Indians have a very different outlook towards food. We simply cannot suppress our appetite and indulgence is our way of experimenting with our taste buds.

So the strong effect the thought of crunchy pakoras or saccharine taste of kulfi has on us can speak volumes about how much we love our food.  Of course with the extremely rich and diverse food culture like ours, it becomes ever more difficult to settle on one.

The following is the ultimate bucket list that brings our passion for food to life. Pick your favourite, if you may dare.

1. Golgappas

Indians

Photo by Paavani Jain

I just had to put this one first. We do not require any specific occasion to gorge on this chatpata piece of delight. The best part–it is a messy dish and like a true desi, you would have to eat it the messy way to get the real essence.

A quick suggestion–it also serves as the cheapest treat you can give to those foodie friends of yours.

2. Samosa

Indians

Photo by Paavani Jain

These triangle shaped pastries are a popular street snack in India. From the flaky outer crust to the soft fillings inside, everything tastes simply divine. Before you know what is happening, it is gone.

Its specialty lies in the fact that there is no particular way of cooking it. It can be either baked or fried and the fillings can range from potatoes, peas, chicken to even chocolate.

Don’t forget to serve it with some delectable sauce.

3. Chai and Pakoras

Indians

Photo by Paavani Jain

Think of the monsoon season and the idea of crispy pakoras with a steaming cup of chai pops up instantly. Especially after a heavy downpour, you will find the street stalls crammed with people eagerly waiting to dig in.

You’ll find the chai and pakoras everywhere–on the streets, stalls, restaurants and stand-alone eateries.

4. Momos/Dumplings

Indians

Photo by Sabhyata Badhwar

Hailing from North-East India, these fried or steamed dumplings have garnered a lot of momentum off-late mainly because this is one street food that is actually healthy.

Momos do not give one the instant flavour that one is looking for. So the ideal way of getting the essence is to dip it into a relatively tangy sauce and take a mouthful to let the taste build up. Make sure you pair it up with a spicy tomato sauce.

There is no stopping us when it comes to indulging in this steamy bundle of joy.

Momos are especially sought after by college students. If you don’t believe me, you can check out the popular north campus outlets.

5. Rajma Chawal

Indians

Photo by Paavani Jain

It has been an invariably long day at work and your stomach is calling out to you. All you want is to bundle up in bed and treat yourself to something easy to cook and familiar to your taste buds.

The beauty of this dish is that aroma of the beans and masala reaches the nose way before the food reaches the mouth.

It is hands down the ultimate comfort food that takes you back to your childhood days every time.

6. Butter Chicken

Indians

Photo courtesy of flickr.com

If the very mention of this dish did not bring water to your mouth, then I highly doubt your love for non-vegetarian food. The taste gets refined owing to the zesty, rich gravy. Be it as your family recipe or as the signature dish of a restaurant, this dish never gets old.

You can pair it up with naan, yogurt and dal makhani. Here’s a list of outlets where you can find the best butter chicken that will make you go weak in the knees.

7. Kulfi

Indians

Photo by Yatin Arora

After we have fabricated a pretty decent arrangement of appetizers and main course for you, it’s time to tingle that sweet tooth of yours. This is our very Indian version of ice cream. The exotic flavours of the kulfi melting in one’s mouth feel like heaven, especially during those blistering summer days.

Team it up with cardamom sprinklers and you are good to go.

More food love from Spoon: