Whether I'm in class or studying for an exam, I am always craving for something to crunch and munch on. And lets be real, the tastiest snacks always seem to be the unhealthiest. While an occasional cheat day is ok, everyday is certainly not alright. Fortunately, finding healthy snacks– brain food snacks– is a lot easier than you think. 

1. Dark Chocolate

cocoa, chocolate chips, chips, chocolate, candy, sweet
Caroline Ingalls

Best news of the year; dark chocolate is actually good for you! Loaded with antioxidants and flavonoids, dark chocolate has been proven to help prevent inflammation, improve memory and brain function, and even reduce the risk of heart disease. Next time your sweet tooth acts up, opt for a bite (or three) of dark chocolate.

2. Coconut

Coconut, especially coconut oil, is rich in medium chain triglycerides which the body uses for energy. Acting as an anti-inflammatory, coconut oil is connected with preventing Alzheimer's and Dementia. Studies have shown that it can even help take off excessive weight and strengthen the immune system. Find all these benefits in coconut chips like Dang Toasted Coconut Chips.

3. Avocado

sweet, bread, avocado
Katie Harman

Aside from being the hot new food trend, avocados should be your go to snack because of their immense health benefits. As a great source of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, which have been determined to increase blood flow to the brain, avocados are the perfect brain food to improve memory and concentration. As an added bonus, avocados are a high source of potassium and vitamin K which prevent strokes. Spread a few slices of avocado on whole wheat bread or even better, make your own dip and pair it up with carrots! Try Elise Bauer's easy Guacamole Recipe. 

4. Carrots

farmer's market, pasture, vegetable, carrot
Caroline Ingalls

Carrots, the perfect crunchy snack for your eyes and your brain. Additionally to being high in antioxidants, carrots are the ideal source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, Potassium, and Iron. These all play a key role in boosting immunity, improving eyesight, and reducing the risk of strokes and cancer. Next time you're looking for a munch, opt for this orange brain food snack.

5. Seaweed

Delicious in sushi, salad, and even by itself, seaweed should be your number one snack choice. Packed with folate, calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, and iodine, it's no wonder that seaweed supplements are all the craze right now. Seaweed has been found to have even more nutrients and vitamins than many vegetables grown on land. In addition to aiding in digestion, seaweed's antioxidants prevent chronic diseases and improve both verbal and memory performance. Try dried roasted seaweed with a slice of avocado!

6. Kale

parsley, spinach, lettuce, kale, broccoli, vegetable, salad
Katherine Baker

Kale, another trendy food that not only looks good in an Instagram picture, but is also insanely healthy for you. An antioxidant filled super-food, kale is high in iron, vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin A, and calcium. Because of its high nutrient content and anti-inflammatory properties, kale is extremely beneficial for your immune system and prevents age-related cognitive decline. It is also an amazing way to detox your body so if you're feeling guilty about cheating or partying the day before, you should snack on some kale. Consume kale in a salad or even better, as chips. As a bonus, Kale is low in calories so you don’t have to feel guilty when you “accidentally” eat the whole bag of kale chips. Don’t worry, we’ve all been there. 

7. Blueberries

pasture, blackberry, bilberry, sweet, blueberry, berry

Blueberries are one of the highest antioxidant foods in the world and the perfect brain food. Because of their high phenol content, blueberries are like superheroes that combat brain degeneration and decrease cognitive decline. If blueberries weren't perfect enough, their immense amount of vitamins and minerals help restore hormone imbalance which makes this fruit the perfect home remedy for acne. And if you weren't already sold on the power of blueberries, blueberries promote digestion and fight cancer. Why aren't we all eating a bucketful of blueberries a day?

The Bottom Line

Snacking should not be a guilt-filled activity. It can be easy, healthy, and most of all, hassle-free. Satisfy your cravings while giving your body the nutrients and vitamins it needs. These brain food snacks are affordable and obtainable. Stop by your nearest supermarket or college store and stock up for your next snacking adventure. Who said snacking can't be good for you?