Quick, how many types of apples have you ever eaten? Chances are, you've tried less than a dozen varieties of apples. That's because supermarkets and grocery stores only carry a few types of apples. Consumers prefer nicely shaped, blemish-free apples, so over time, farmers and grocers have selected for the apples that are easy to grow and transport. Sadly, that leaves out over 7500 other types of apples that you might never get to know about. Let's change that a bit: 

Ashmead's Kernel

A quirky name comes with a quirky taste. Despite its small size, the apple has a distinctive flavor. Its origins are traced all the way back to the 1700s.

Cox’s Orange Pippin

Cox's Orange Pippin

D H Wright on Flickr

Known for its intense orange-red coloring and a complex aromatic taste. It's been called one of the UK's best apples, so be sure to try one if you go there for a visit. 

Gelato

Yes, this apple was named after the Italian dessert. The Gelato apple is a rare, ancient variety that once grew in Italy, on Mount Etna. Its flesh has translucent areas that makes it look like the fruit is frozen, hence the name.

Glockenapfel

File:Malus Glockenapfel 4455.jpg

Image from WikiCommons

Still commonly found in Europe, Glockenapfel apples have a unique shape and a strong balance of tart and sweet that make them popular for baking, especially strudels. 

Mattamuskeet

Mattamuskeet Sunset

USFWS/Southeast on Flickr

This apple's origins are traced back to a lake of the same name in North Carolina. It is very sour when picked, but the acidity decreases over time while stored.

Mutsu

apples 6

Cows Don't Moo on Flickr

Also known as the "Crispin", these large apples are sweeter than most green apples. It is named after the Mutsu province in Japan.

Sweet Sixteen

This rose-colored apple is medium-sized and has a mild flavor. Some tasters report hints of cherry and anise.

While it'd be a shame to bake with these apples, check out some creative apple recipes you can make.