With Coachella right around the corner, you may be spending all your extra time and money shopping for a new outfit or camping gear. What you may not know, in the case that this is your first Coachella, is exactly how delicious (and expensive) the food may be. Whether you you’re camping or have no other choice but to purchase food during the festival, these tips will give you the lowdown on what you should know before buying.

1. Window shop before choosing your meal

coachella

Photo courtesy of @coachellaeats on Instagram

Pretty obvious advice to start with but this will save you money in the long run. It is really easy to choose whatever line is the shortest to get your food from when you’re hungry and exhausted from the sun and all the walking. Either do your research before Coachella itself to see what food vendors you’ll be interested in or give yourself 7 minutes to look around the food court area before buying a meal. Here’s a look at some of last year’s vendors to give you an idea.

2. Popular items run out

coachella

Unlike regular restaurants, the food vendors only make enough food to last the day meaning they run out of ingredients well before the day is over. If you have had your eye on a specific plate, eat it earlier rather than later or you may not get the chance to do so at all.

3. The Watermelon Slice will cost ya

coachella

Ever seen the iconic “I’m at Coachella” picture with a watermelon slice floating around social media? It’s a must for any Coachella-goer but be aware that the slice itself will cost you upwards of $6 for several bites of fruity goodness. If you can’t get enough watermelon, here are other ways to eat this delectable melon.

4. Portion sizes vary greatly

coachella

You may believe that $10 will get you the same amount of food at each vendor but that is not the case. Each vendor is different and their prices don’t always reflect the quantity nor the size of the food. Your best bet? Ask someone with a delicious looking meal exactly where they got if from and if it was worth the money.

5. Choose your dessert wisely

coachella

Photo courtesy of @coachella on Instagram

Coachella not only brings its festival attendees a ridiculous amount of food but also a very diverse range of desserts. Ice cream and popsicles are extremely popular at the festival especially with the weather hitting anywhere from 90 to 100 degrees. Try to limit yourself to only one dessert a day or those extra $4 to $10 of cooldown could cost you dearly. KindKreme was just one of of the featured dessert places last year so stay tuned for the array of amazing places to come for 2016. To make your own ice cream, check out this article.

6. Stick to your budget

coachella

You’re going to be tempted by every type of delicious eatery imaginable during the three-day festival. If the dehydration does not make you cave into buying the first thing you see, the beating sun, atmosphere, and your friends telling you to “just treat yo’ self” will. Don’t listen to their advice and either limit yourself by bringing limited amounts of cash or having your buddies hold your precious plastic card hostage if you go overboard.