Falafel is one of the most iconic Middle Eastern street foods there is, and lately, it's been enjoying its time in the spotlight in the United States. It's a great source of plant protein and easily customized to be gluten-free or vegan. As a frequent consumer of the delicious fritters, I wanted to learn more about them, so I interviewed my friend from Benghazi, Libya, who is also a falafel fan, and here's what he had to say.

1. The traditional falafel in the Middle East is not the same as in the United States

According to my friend, "each country claims that theirs is the original, but the truth is the Egyptian version is the original, which is falafel with fries and chicken." Here in the US, it's pretty common to see falafel in a wrap with veggies as the main dish, but in the Middle East, it's eaten as a side dish or as a quick snack. As street food, it can be served alone in a bag like popcorn, or in a pita with vegetables like arugula and tomato, and sauces like tahini or sour yogurt.

2. There's a huge price difference, too

tacos, chicken
Jennifer Nigro

Every Thursday, I pay around $7.50 for a falafel wrap on campus, and it's around the same price at the Turkish restaurant in downtown Burlington, Vermont. But, on the Libyan coast, "the fanciest falafel sandwich you can get" is 1.5 dinars, which converts to $1.08 USD. If you get fries with it too, the grand total for your meal is $1.70. In Lebanon and Egypt, it's even cheaper than that. It's typically an "I'm broke and need to eat" meal.

3. There's no special way to eat it

guacamole, avocado
Jennifer Nigro

Unlike special rules that govern eating sushi, for example, there's not really anything in particular one should know before chowing down on falafel that aren't part of general eating etiquette. If you're eating it in the Middle East though, make sure you eat it quietly and don't stare at other people when they're eating, as privacy is important.

4. They vary in size and shape

vegetable, relish, hash, condiment, herb
Kristine Mahan

Falafel in the US is typically medium sized, but in North Africa, they're smaller and crisper (and better, my friend made sure to note). In the gulf countries, they're much bigger. In many places like North Africa, they're spheres that are squashed when put in a pita. In the gulf area and South Sudan, they're more disc-shaped.

5. The word "falafel" isn't used everywhere

falafel, meat, bread, beef, vegetable, parsley, salad, tomato, lettuce
Emma Noyes

My friend only learned the word "falafel" after coming to school in the United States. In North Africa, they say ta'amiya, but in the rest of the middle east, they say falafel. *Note: pronounced like fell-aa-fel.

6. The recipes vary from place to place

chicken, salad
Jennifer Nigro

Many traditional falafel recipes feature chickpeas, cumin, coriander seeds, parsley, salt and pepper. My South Sudanese Arabic professor adds dill and basil to his recipe to give it some zest. When I asked my Libyan friend how they make falafel there, he responded with a smug "You don't. You buy it and eat it."

So go out there, eat your fell-aa-fel and enjoy knowing more about this delicious dish!