I know what you’re thinking. “Whaaaat? Why in the world would you want me to drink such a heinous, vile alcohol?” Well, all your preconceived notions about tequila are wrong. I swear, just hear me out.

1. You won’t get hungover

tequila

“Lies!” you say? Well, chances are you haven’t been drinking JUST tequila in one night, and if you did, it was probably mixed with pounds of sugar in a nice, big margarita glass.

Make sure the tequila you’re drinking is the right kind, too. The 100 percent agave (the real stuff) is less likely to leave you hungover, and the silver kind is even more preferable.

Of course, if you’re just throwing back shots by the minute, you’ll get hungover no matter what. BUT, if you’re drinking it in moderation, you’ll get a nice little buzz without the regret in the morning.

2. It won’t make you bloated

tequila

Studies have shown that the sugars in tequila, known as agavins, aren’t processed by the body, meaning they can’t make you gain weight.

Those same sugars raise levels of a hormone in the gut that tells the brain that it’s time to stop eating. The hormone also keeps food in the stomach longer, which will keep you full. Still feeling puffy? Check out these simple yoga moves to help reduce bloat.

3. It can lower blood sugar

tequila

Time to thank those agavins again. The sweetener, which comes from the agave plant which makes tequila, increases the amount of insulin in the body. Higher amounts of insulin lower blood sugar and can help fight diabetes.

4. It can fight high cholesterol

tequila

Those agavins just won’t go away. Not only do they create more insulin, but they also can act as a dietary fiber. Higher fiber = lower cholesterol. Cheers to a healthy pancreas AND a healthy heart!

5. It will help you relax and fall asleep

tequila

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

So what if you’re not down to get down? Tequila can still be helpful. Sip on an ounce of it if you’re having some trouble falling asleep and it will act as a natural relaxant and ease you into an untroubled slumber.

6. Everyone respects someone who can throw back tequila

tequila

Gif courtesy of giphy.com

Show up to a pre game with a bottle of tequila and you will automatically be recognized as the life of the party. People who roll up with a bottle of Fireball are so aburrido. So next time you’re going out on the town, consider the our friend from south of the border, tequila.