So, if you are from the midwest, or have spent any significant time there (or on the west coast of Florida) you may have heard of/seen/tried something called Blue Moon Ice Cream. If you haven’t, I feel sorry for you.

Unfortunately for my Maryland living, Boston school going self, this delicious ice cream is a flavor I’ve only encountered in the Midwestern United States and the west coast of Florida (thanks I-75). Here are some reasons you have got to try it

1. It’s so pretty.

blue moon

Photo courtesy of wikipedia.com

‘Nuff said (and it turns your tongue blue if you’re lucky).

2. It will make you feel like a kid again.

blue moon

I admit, this could be because I associate it with trips to get ice cream when visiting my grandparents over breaks… But, it tastes like your favorite sugar packed, unnaturally colored cereal, and when is that ever a bad thing?

3. You can act like an ice cream hipster.

blue moon

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

If you have friends that aren’t familiar with this awesomeness, that is.

4. It’s ⅓ of Superman ice cream.Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

Superman is a popular ice cream combo in the Midwest. It consists of Blue Moon, cherry (or other red) ice creams, and lemon (or vanilla that has been dyed yellow) ice creams.

5. It’s rare.

blue moon

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

If you come across it, how could you not try it? Odds are low you’ll see it again anytime soon.

6. You never quite know what you’ll get.

blue moon

Photo courtesy of pinterest.com

Blue Moon isn’t a singular flavor and each recipe tastes a bit different. Some have tasted a bit citrusy, some I’ve had tasted like Trix, Froot Loops, or Fruity Pebbles. Some even taste kinda like vanilla. But, all are delicious, and I should know… I’ve eaten a lot.