No matter how you slice it, it’s time to face the facts. You’re graduating. It’s no longer socially acceptable to ignore your responsibilities to day drink. And if you think there’s such a thing as $4 burger and pitcher deals in the real world, then you’re in for a rude awakening, my friend.

As that fateful day gets near, your mother is going to start calling (nagging) you about making a reservation for a graduation meal to celebrate with the family. Chipotle just ain’t gonna cut it.

It’s time to step up to the plate and show your family that Lansing can get down with the best of them. Check out our top picks:

Dusty’s Cellar

graduation

Photo courtesy of dustyscellar.com

Hidden inside a strip mall on Grand River, this gem has a Wine Bar and a Tap Room to choose from. Regardless of your ceremony’s time, Dusty’s serves brunch, lunch, and dinner (triple threat).

For your particular needs, we advise the Wine Bar as it seats plenty, has an excellent wine list, and the menu will please everyone. If brunch is what you’re conquering, we are tipping our hats to the “New World” Huevos Rancheros. Just make sure you have time for a nap afterward. 

Red Haven

graduation

Photo by Sarah Knight

This is for the adventurous family of people that valued arts and crafts as kids. You probably went to summer camp and know what a charcuterie plate is. Not necessarily ideal for large groups, but a brilliant choice nonetheless.

Red Haven is a farm-to-table small plates restaurant that has the most lovely dishes (changing seasonally) in a unique setting that values the great state of Michigan. If the parents are not up for a meal a little more daring, we highly recommend this killer place located down Hagadorn for just about any occasion.

Tavern 109

graduation

Photo courtesy of tavern109.com

This is the perfect place if your family is heading from the east side of the mitten. Located in Williamston, about 20 minutes down Grand River for us Spartans, sits this joint that is frequented by our very own Lou Anna K.

Craft beers on tap, great food, and a charming atmosphere makes this the ideal grad dinner spot. Shrimp po’ boys, chicken and waffles, and mustard crusted mahi are just a few of the highlights from their exceptional menu. Spoon gives this tavern the thumbs up. Maybe even a double thumbs up.

Gracie’s Place

graduation

Photo courtesy of graciesplacewilliamston.com

Just a hop, skip, and a jump down the street from Tavern 109 in Williamston sits Gracie’s Place. A true farm-to-table establishment that will ensnare the senses with their creative dishes in a modern, fine dining atmosphere.

If the weather permits, their back patio is a flawless setting to celebrate joining the adult world (We hear they don’t have homework out there!). With the menu changing seasonally there’s no telling what you’ll find on it, but last time we got to experience shrimp and crab scampi…so there’s really no going wrong here.

Soup Spoon Cafe

graduation

Photo courtesy of soupspooncafe.com

If your basement was the place all your friends hung out in during high school because your parents were the coolest, we’d like to introduce you to the Soup Spoon Cafe. Casual, hip, delicious, and open for every meal of the day.

Pretty fab choice for a celebratory luncheon, if I do say so myself. Rolling out a pretty dope drink menu with their extensive food menu makes it a destination to be reckoned with. They also have a soup flight. So enough said.

Tavern and Tap

graduation

Photo by Sarah Knight

I think it’s clear we have a love affair happening with Tavern and Tap based on our latest review of them. Great casual atmosphere with creative dishes and a draft list that will excite the hipster in you.

Good choice for a joyously loud group that loves eating more than one person should. Snag one of their craft brews to celebrate how awesome you are. The poutine fries are highly recommended, by the way.

Graduation is looming, and reservations are filling, so get to it. I’ll see you at the bars afterward. Oh and congratulations, fellow future alums!

If you’re a lover of great Michigan restaurants, check out what our Spoon family in Ann Arbor is munching on: