Although it’s been a long journey, I’m proud to say it’s been seventeen years and counting since my last bed-wetting incident. Still, before I can truly mark an end to those thumb-sucking days, there’s one more thing I must do: conquer my food phobias. We all remember pushing vegetables around the plate to avoid eating them, only succumbing once promised dessert, or, if broccoli was on the menu, a pony. But now, with a more developed palate and a few simple recipes or quick fixes, these same foods can become any college student’s new favorites.

Here’s a complete list of foods you may not have tried since 2002 and how to actually enjoy them:

1. Brussels Sprouts

food

Photo by Kathryn Stouffer

It’s a well-known fact that brussels sprouts can be found on every 10-year-old’s list of most-hated foods. The stigma surrounding brussels sprouts on the jungle gym is so strong, it’s almost as if kids are born with an aversion to these things. But with high levels of vitamins C and K as well as dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, Brussels deserve a spot in any healthy diet.

Try this: For a fresh twist on coleslaw, shred brussels sprouts, combine with mayo and sour cream (trust me), lime juice, salt and pepper. To complete the meal, generously heap onto fish tacos.

Need more?

2. Bleu Cheese

food

Photo courtesy of foodnessgracious.com

This stuff is not for the faint of heart, and the fact that it bears a striking resemblance to the mold we grew in my third grade science class doesn’t exactly help. Interestingly, the blue mold running through it, called Penicillium roqueforti, can fight harmful bacteria in the body.

Try this: Slice a ripe pear, top with bleu cheese (a little goes a long way) and drizzle with honey. Go ahead and grind some fresh black pepper on top if you’re feeling saucy.

Need more?

3. Eggplant

food

Photo courtesy of popsugar.com

At the age of nine I would eat pretty much anything that was fried, slathered in tomato sauce and covered in cheese, so my fervent dislike of eggplant parmesan rocked me to my core. Regardless, the strange-looking purple vegetable has a combination of fiber and B vitamins that can contribute to a healthy diet for weight loss.

Try this: Cube eggplant, toss with salt, pepper and olive oil and roast in the oven. While still warm, toss with mint, feta cheese and thinly sliced red onion.

Need more?

4. Tofu

food

Photo by Laura Palladino

While I once considered tofu a tasteless mass that was a sad excuse for nourishment, a simple shift in perspective has allowed me to see it as a blank canvas that acts as a vessel for pretty much any flavor under the sun. While it is an important source of protein for vegetarians, tofu also has high levels of calcium for bone strength and has been proven to lower bad cholesterol.

Try this: marinate tofu in soy sauce and seasoned rice vinegar, pan fry and serve over rice with scallions and sriracha. Experiment with different marinades and flavors – you might be surprised to find how little you miss meat.

Need more?

5. Mushrooms

food

Photo by Michele Boscia

As a rule, I didn’t eat anything I could find growing at the bottom of trees. As if that weren’t enough, the very mention of the word “fungus” was cause to drop the fork and slowly back away from the plate. Despite my apprehension, mushrooms are high in B vitamins to boost metabolism and antioxidants to amp the immune system.

Try this: For a no-fuss meal, sauteé mushrooms with salt and pepper, then fold into an omelet with a generous dollop of goat cheese and fresh herbs. Reward your culinary prowess with a side of home fries, because, why not?

Need more?

6. Avocado

food

Photo by Molly Krohe

Nowadays I think I miss regular access to avocado more than my parents when I’m away at college, but in elementary school I was a strictly salsa-and-chips kind of gal. Despite the popularity of guacamole amongst college students, few experiment with other uses of this creamy vegetable, packed with healthy monounsaturated fats – although we can’t complain about the recent avocado toast trend.

Try this: Cut in half, sprinkle sea salt and drizzle fresh lime juice on top.

Need more?