Whether you're a seasoned chef or a hopeful beginner, these food documentaries on Netflix will motivate you to get creative in the kitchen.

1) Chef's Table

Since its debut in 2015, "Chef’s Table" has been one of the most successful food documentaries on Netflix. Each episode features a world-renowned chef sharing their inspiration and vision for doing what they love.

In season 2, Grant Achatz presents a meal served atop vapor pillows which release the scent of lavender to compliment the course.

In season 4, Christina Tosi introduces viewers to her trademarked “cereal milk,” which tastes exactly like the sugary milk left at the bottom of the cereal bowl.

Each chef’s take on food preparation and philosophy is unique, and their creations are truly works of art. This show is delightful and inspiring for new and old chefs alike.

2) Jiro Dreams of Sushi

This documentary centers around the life of Jiro Ono, a chef who has dedicated his entire life to perfecting the art of sushi. Jiro owns and operates an inconspicuous restaurant called “Sukiyabashi Jiro” in the Tokyo subway station.

Jiro’s restaurant is so small that he only serves ten customers at a time, and all customers receive a tasting menu of about 20 pieces of sushi for a price of 30,000 Japanese yen each (roughly 300 USD).

For decades, Jiro has been refining his craft with what director David Gelb refers to as a “relentless pursuit of perfection.” He curates his rice to a specific temperature, massages his octopi for 40 minutes before cooking them, and seats customers at the counter based on if they are right or left-handed.

His minimalist presentation of the food is praised for its beauty and simplicity. Jiro's attention to detail and expertise in preparing sushi has earned his restaurant a prestigious three-star Michelin rating. 

3) Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat

"Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" is based on Samin Nosrat’s perceptive cookbook of the same name. Released in October 2018, this documentary was the first instructional cooking show on Netflix.

Nosrat investigates each the four “cardinal directions” of a good meal by traveling to a different destination in each episode.

In Italy, she taste-tests parmesan and prosciutto while teaching viewers about the importance of fat.

In Japan, Nosrat learns to collect seaweed and miso eggs to demonstrate the role of salt.

In Mexico, she examines acidity by sampling salsa and honey.

Nosrat completes the series in her current hometown of Berkeley, California, with a tutorial on cooking with heat. "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" is a fascinating and educational documentary that provides practical lessons and recipes in each episode.

4) The Mind of a Chef

Originally a PBS television series that premiered in 2012, this food docu-series brings some of the brightest culinary minds together to discuss and create great food.

"The Mind of the Chef" claims to “feed the gut and the mind,” which it accomplishes by showcasing not only the food itself but the behind-the-scenes work and inspiration that goes into constructing a meal.

The show features celebrity hosts that change every season and combines travel, humor, and science to produce an entertaining yet educational show.

In 2014, "The Mind of the Chef" won an Emmy in the category of Outstanding Culinary Program.

5) Cooked

This four-part documentary series showcases the journey of writer and food advocate Michael Pollan in understanding the history of food.

"Cooked" is based on Pollan’s bestselling book and explores the role that each of the elements -- fire, water, air, and earth -- play in preparing delicious foods.

Pollan travels the world and meets with chefs of all cultures to learn their cooking techniques. He also investigates the modern trends of food processing and production and how they impact our relationships with food.

"Cooked"is informative and insightful, and gives viewers and appreciation for the history behind home-cooked meals.