When it comes to working out, some people don’t really think about what they eat before they hit the gym. For many, it’s all about the food you get to eat afterwards. However, the foods you eat before exercising are just as important as the foods you get to eat after. Unfortunately, before a workout, you can’t just shove a burger down your throat and call it good. There are certain foods that are perfect for giving you energy, while also keeping it light. Timing is everything, so make sure to eat at least 30 minutes before and after exercise in order to energize your body.

Oatmeal

Oatmeal is one of the healthiest meals you can have and is one of the easiest because it’s super quick to make. It settles well, gives you long-lasting energy and is a good source of protein. If you are in it for the weight loss, oatmeal is perfect for that too.

Pre-Workout Foods

Photo by Tiare Brown

Greek Yogurt

The most popular yogurt variety, Greek yogurt, perfectly fills you up and is also a great source of protein. The reason to go Greek is because it contains less sugar than regular yogurt, which is a far better choice as sugary yogurt only gives you a short boost of energy. You could even toss in blueberries or any food accessory of your choice in there to liven it up.

Apple Slices and Peanut Butter

I love this snack when I’m semi-hungry before a workout but don’t want to loose my lunch on the elliptical. Not only is this snack light, but the combination of the apple flavor and the creamy peanut butter is a match made in heaven. It’s perfect for a quick energy boost.

Toast with Peanut Butter and Bananas

Whole wheat toast slathered with peanut butter and bananas… can it get any better than that? Its easy to digest and full of carbs (the good kind). The bananas raise potassium levels, which can drop when you sweat a lot.

Pre-Workout Foods with Exercise

Photo by Tiare Brown

Smoothies

One of my personal favorites, smoothies are an awesome way to get energized, reduce hunger and feel healthy before working out. I would recommend mixing various fruits, Greek yogurt, ice, and some sort of juice like orange juice. I promise you, it will be delicious.

Water

Always, always remember to hydrate before and after you work out. Having liquids in your body is extremely important if you want to have a productive workout.