The chicken breast is poultry royalty. A 4 ounce chicken breast gives you approximately 30 grams of protein and stays under 200 calories. It’s the go-to protein source for every bodybuilder, clean eater, and really everyone. There are countless recipes for chicken breasts, but let’s start with the basics.

You can dress up your chicken with wonderful sauces, sides, garnishes, etc., you cannot make an ugly chicken breast pretty. A chicken breast that is not prepared and cooked properly is like putting lipstick on a pig: it’s still a pig, and you still have dried-out, flavorless chicken. Juicy chicken does not need to be drowned in any amount of sauce or seasonings. So how do we achieve the perfect breast?

There’s no magic and no crazy methods to all of this, just 6 easy rules to follow. Don’t cheat on any of the rules, they’re essential for a reason!

1. Pound

chicken breast

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Using a wide jar or glass, pound the chicken breasts down to create a uniform and even thickness.This will allow the chicken to cook evenly.

2. Season both sides

chicken breast

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt and pepper.

3. Heat and coat your pan

chicken breast

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Make sure your pan is heated at a medium to high heat.

Once the pan is hot, add butter or oil and coat the entire bottom of the pan to prevent sticking.

4. Cook both sides of your chicken

chicken breast

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Place the chicken breasts on the pan and allow them to cook for 1 minute without moving them.

5. Cover the pan

chicken breast

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Flip the breasts over and turn the heat to low, cover the pan and let the chicken cook for 10 minutes.

6.Remove from heat and let sit

chicken breast

GIF by Jackie Kuczynski

Remove the chicken from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting. This will allow all of the juices to rest inside of the chicken and develop their flavor. Slice and enjoy!

• Prep Time:
  • Cook Time:
  • Total Time:
  • Servings: