Before you come trudging into Bruff after a long workout and eat a pile of fries and ten scoops of chocolate ice cream, check out these tips to actually make your daily (okay, weekly) exercise pay off.

While people often make the mistake of not eating before going to workout, most health experts advise that eating 45 minutes to an hour before exercise is crucial to burning more calories and properly toning your muscles.

Courtesy of sabrinatheteenagewitch.wikia.com

Gif courtesy of sabrinatheteenagewitch.wikia.com

What To Eat Before Your Work Out:

1. Whole wheat toast with peanut butter and sliced banana

workout

Photo by Molly Morein

This pre-workout snack will keep you properly energized for the entirety of your intense ABT session with Joe. A mix of simple and complex carbs is crucial to ensure a steady release of energy all throughout your workout. This no hassle snack will ensure you’ll beat the Reily Rush and snag the best treadmill.

2. Greek yogurt with granola

workout

Photo by Katie Hughes

Greek yogurt is highly recommended before an intense workout because it has twice the protein content of regular yogurts without the extra sugar. Adding about one spin from the granola cereal dispenser adds an extra punch and according to Fitness Magazine “the seeds and nuts in granola mix will keep insulin levels from dropping mid-workout”.

3. Omelet with all the veggies

workout

Photo by Katie Hughes

If you favor early morning exercises but don’t think it’s worth it to wait in the dreaded omelet line, think again. The protein packed eggs and vitamin filled vegetables are essential to muscle recovery and growth. #Spoontip: make sure to ask for shelled eggs in your omelet before they run out.

What To Eat After Your Work Out:

4. Sweet potato with crushed pineapple

workout

Photo by Molly Morein

Potatoes get a bad rep – most people just think of their high calories and carb content, but in actuality sweet potatoes are packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamin C. Bruff usually has pans stacked high with baked sweet potatoes ready for the taking. Keep your eye out for when they restock the fruit bar and try adding some crushed up pineapple on top of your steamy sweet potato.

5. Tuna, hummus and spinach sandwich on whole wheat bread

workout

Photo by Molly Morein

If you’re looking for something hearty after your long run, this sandwich combination is for you. Skip the mustard and mayo and try hummus, a healthy and satisfying spread alternative that’s full of fiber. Make sure to ask for the dry Tuna mix to avoid the extra fat from the mixed in mayonnaise.

6. Chocolate Milk

workout

Photo by Molly Morein

While protein shakes have been all the craze for avid exercise enthusiasts across the country, not all of us have the time and money to spend on 32 ounces of protein powder every month. Luckily, there is an easy alternative. In comparison to plain milk, water, and sports drinks, chocolate milk has double the carbohydrates and protein content.

#Spoontip: we even have our very own Silk Chocolate Milk dispenser for those of your trying to avoid dairy. Check out this article for more information on milk alternatives.