Most people are of the narrow-minded belief that Champagne and sparkling wine are sacred libations reserved for toasting to newlyweds, New Year’s Eve, and other rarely-occurring formal occasions. I’m going to let you in on a secret: you don’t need a special occasion to enjoy a flute (or two) of sparkles and I can tell of you about six cheap Champagne brands that taste and sparkle like Dom Perignon to create everyday opulence. 

#SpoonTip: According to European Law, Champagne can only be called “Champagne” when it comes from within 100 miles of a specific region in France—Champagne, France—go figure.

Sparkling wine is much more expensive when blessed with the label that says “Champagne,” so for the sake our ballin-on-a-budget lifestyle, the wines listed below will not technically be “Champagne” but are some of the best bottles of bubbly for the price (And no, you won’t find Andre’s anywhere on this list).

1. Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Sparkling Wine: $10

This Cava (Spanish sparkling wine) is crisp and refreshing, made from local grapes of Spain, Macabeo, and Parellada. This bubbly tickles your nose with its effervescence and aromas of toast, green apple, and citrus. On the palate (fancy wine people jargon), you’ll taste hints of apple cider and pineapple, which is subtle beneath a sheath of sparkles. After a long day, nothing tastes more like an elixir of life than a foamy glass of Segura.

#SpoonTip: Add two sliced apples, 1/2 cup cognac, and 2 cups apple cider to a pitcher along with a full bottle of Segura Viudas to warm up your Cava game with a lovely autumn spiced cider Sangria to share with friends on a chilly night.

2. Gruet Brut Rosé: $16.99

If you're more of a “Rosé all day” kind of drinker, this one will appeal to you. Gruet Rosé is dark pink in color, rich and fruity in flavor, and made from New Mexican Pinot Noir grapes. This full-bodied sparkling wine smells like flowers and berries and tastes like a tangy mixture of dry fruits and zest.

#SpoonTip: Mix 1 oz. chardonnay, 1 oz. Aperol, a splash of lime juice, and a glass of sparkling rosé in a wine glass with ice for a refreshing Aperol Spritz. Top with mint, petals or fruit to garnish.

3. Dr. Loosen Sparkling Riesling: $12.99

Take a sip off the beaten path with this 100% pure German Riesling grape, fermented twice—using the Charmat Method—in a pressurized tank to produce a uniquely bright, clean, and inexpensive bottle of Sekt (German sparkling wine). Floral to the nose and tasting of Honeycrisp apple, peach, and tangerine, this Sekt finishes dry with just a hint of honey.

#SpoonTip: Since this bubbly has enough of its own sweetness, all you need to do to make a fun cocktail out of it is add a few splashes of mineral water, 4 tablespoons of elderflower syrup, a few mint leaves, and some ice cubes for a refreshing German sparkling wine cocktail.

4. Saint-Hilaire Blanquette de Limoux Brut: $13.99

This brut hails from the OG land of bubbly, France. A blend of Mauzac, Chardonnay, and Chenin Blanc make for a creamy and pale straw color. The aroma is light, fresh, and fruity and all it will take is one sip to spark images of fields of wildflowers in the Provençal French countryside or oranges groves in the Mediterranean warmth of the South of France.

#SpoonTip: Jazz up this classic with an ounce of gin, 3/4 oz. lemon, 1 oz. Simple Syrup, and 3 oz. of Saint-Hilaire for a pleasingly boozy French 75 cocktail.

5. Mumm Napa Brut Prestige: $24

Those who associate California’s Napa Valley with a bold bottle of Cabernet will be pleasantly surprised to find that it also produces delicious and affordable sparkling wine. Mumm Napa is a mix of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes, offering a bouquet of vanilla, citrus, and melon as soon as you pop the cork. It’s refreshing and reminiscent of raspberry in taste, and simply decadent.

#SpoonTip: Feel French and sweeten these lovely dry bubbles with 2-3 teaspoons of Crème de Cassis (blackcurrent liqueur) or Chambord and a couple of raspberries to garnish to make a Kir Royale.

6. Freixenet Cordon Negro: $10.99

Return to Spain once more to sip on a glass from the ever-popular black bottle of Freixenet Cordon Negro. Cordon Negro is clean and well-balanced with notes of apple and pear and has a gingery finish. This Cava is accessible and versatile, pairing well with almost any food and lovely enough on its own to quickly become your next drink of choice.

#SpoonTip: Mix a bottle of Cava with 5 oz. of sherry, 3 oz. of simple syrup, 1.5 oz. of orange liqueur, and fruit for garnish to make White Sherry Sangria, an effervescent new take on a classic Spanish drink.  

Voila! There you have it, six cheap Champagnes that will make you swear you're drinking Dom Perignon. Keep in mind that Champagne is for the people, and you don't need to wait for your next birthday or the next federal holiday to tell you when you can pop the cork on one of these beauties. Time is of the essence, and as Dom himself once said, "Come quickly, I'm tasting the stars!"