Thanksgiving, as we all know, is when we give thanks to our loved ones, celebrate America, and, most importantly, honor the amazing cooks in our family as well as those legendary recipes your great grandmother's great grandmother has passed down for generations.

Yet, somehow after each Thanksgiving dinner, year after year, you swear off food for the rest of your life, before retiring to the couch to sleep it off. But again, year after year, you find yourself promising that no food will be left uneaten. This year, try changing up the routine and substituting the traditional flavors for squash. You'll feel less gluttonous while still enjoying all of your favorite holiday flavors.

1. Vegan Curried Butternut Squash Soup 

soup, cream, sweet, vegetable
Sarah Silbiger

This soup will warm you and your family up even on the coldest of Thanksgiving days. Start the holiday off right with this butternut squash bisque with curry powder, garnished with squash seeds. Nothing goes to waste!

2. Healthy Mac and Cheese

meat, vegetable, cheese, casserole, sauce, parsley
Parisa Soraya

This dish is known to satisfy the pickiest of eaters and it's almost too delicious to believe that it's healthy. This is just like your typical mac and cheese, except that the sauce partially substitutes cheese for butternut squash. The best part about this recipe is that it is so simple that anyone can make it.

3. Stuffed Turkey Breast with Butternut Squash and Figs

Tired of the pounds of leftover turkey? By stuffing singular turkey breasts, each Thanksgiving guest will receive their own single serving. Say goodbye to eating turkey every day until Spring Break, and hello to this twisted turkey recipe. Be prepared to taste sweetness and savoriness from the butternut squash and figs with each bite.

4. Quinoa Stuffing

Forget the turkey, stuffing is the signature trademark of Thanksgiving. This year, instead of bread stuffing, why not try this stuffing made with quinoa, butternut squash, crasins, and other fresh, healthy ingredients. This dish is simple to make and delicious to eat. The best thing about this stuffing is you won't feel guilty when you're going back to fill your plate for your fifth time.

5. Farmhouse Butternut Apple Crumble

Is it really Thanksgiving if there is no dessert? You may question putting vegetables into dessert (I did), but, trust me, you will not regret it. Your family will not only be grateful for this warm, savory dish, but also for your healthy Thanksgiving.