With limited container space and no going back for seconds, to-go boxes can be a risky option. Instead of trying to package up a salad and a sandwich, here are five new ways you can fill a to-go box and end up with a meal that tastes homemade.

All of these recipes can be made using Caf or Sadler ingredients and just one pan or bowl, and all are perfect for any exciting add-ons you might find.

Plain Pasta + Shredded Cheddar Cheese + Milk = Homemade Mac & Cheese

dining hall

Photo by Amanda Davis

We all know the dining halls don’t have mac as often as they should, but the good news is you don’t have to resort to the boxed kind. Try this recipe for mac & cheese you can eat out of a mug. Since your pasta is already cooked, just heat it up for a minute in the microwave before mixing in the milk and cheese.

Chopped Peppers/Broccoli/Carrots/Onions + Chicken/Tofu + Rice = Simple Stir Fry

dining hall

Photo by Amanda Davis

Chopped veggies are always available at the salad bar, so feel free to experiment with different combinations. In a small pan, cook the vegetables for a couple of minutes until tender, then throw in your desired protein and rice. Cook until heated through and then season with salt, pepper, and soy sauce from the Chinese station.

Sweet Potatoes + Chopped Onions + Peppers = Sweet Potato Hash

dining hall

Photo by Amanda Davis

Sometimes breakfast for dinner is a must. Sadler almost always has whole or cubed sweet potatoes or in the vegan section.

Chop the sweet potatoes, if they aren’t already cut, and cook them in a hot pan with the onions and peppers until brown (only 2 or 3 minutes). If you want to take it up a notch, head to the Student Exchange for a few extra ingredients and try this recipe.

Sautéed Vegetables + Beans + Quinoa + Sweet Potatoes = Vegetarian Protein Bowl

dining hall

Photo by Amanda Davis

Fancy protein bowls are all the rave right now, and they’re also one of the easiest ways to make dining hall ingredients look (and taste) exciting.

Just take a couple side elements from each station, layer them on top of quinoa or another grain, and top with salt and pepper. Like the idea of bowls? Take a look at this one next.

Chips + Shredded Cheese + Chicken + Bean Salsa = Nachos for Dinner

dining hall

Photo by Amanda Davis

Nachos are the easiest and most versatile microwave food. Top chips with chicken, cheese, and salsa and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Feel free to substitute beans or veggies for the chicken for a vegetarian version, or pile everything on for nachos supreme. For an added touch, you can normally find sour cream at the vegan section in Sadler.

Want more ways to spice up your dining hall life? Get inspired with these articles: