Everywhere you look these days it seems like not-love is in the air. Yes that’s right – as sure as the fourteenth of February approaches so does the tremendous disdain that the majority of the population seems to feel for the infamous Valentines Day. We’ve already given you some ways to celebrate this year with homemade candy bars and some aphrodisiac tips. Now it’s time to talk about how to distinctly NOT celebrate Valentine’s Day in style. So kick back relax and drink bitterly/celebrate your singledom with these 5 drinks.
Note: We have paired each drink with an appropriate song of choice for proper celebrating/wallowing purposes.
Your Relationship On The Rocks
Maybe you’re going through some relationship struggles or maybe your empty love life is struggle enough. Either way feel free to adjust the ice proportions in this drink to how rocky you feel romance is.
2 oz rum
1. Pack a cup with plenty of ice and pour a shot of rum over it.
2. Fill the rest of the cup with cherry pepsi.
3. Top with a maraschino cherry and mix in a little of the maraschino juice to add a little sweetness to your “on the rocks” romance.
Listen To: I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bonnie Raitt
The Sweet And Sour
What is love but a lot of sour with a little sweet added in? This drink is delicious and barely tastes alcoholic, but only if you can get past a layer of mouth-puckering lemon juice on top. Romance is only for the brave.
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 oz vodka
Lemon and lime for garnish
1. Combine water, sugar, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, and all of the lime juice in a small bowl.
2. Pour your shot of vodka into a cup.
3. Pour your water/sugar/citrus mix into the cup with the vodka (we recommend using some sort of funnel for this, i.e a liquid measuring cup). Stir together.
4. Take a spoon and flip it upside down, angling it so the tip of the spoon touches the inside of the glass where the cup meets the liquid. For a more detailed description of this pour over method consult our Superbowl or Halloween drink features. Pour the remaining tablespoon of lemon juice over the rounded back of the spoon, creating a sour layer on top of your sweet drink. Pucker up!
5. Cut round slices of lemon and lime, creating a slit in the bottom of each. Stick these on the rim of the glass for a garnish.
Listen To: Hot N’ Cold by Katy Perry
Sex On the Beach For One
The title really says it all. This is our cheap take on the classic drink, but downsized for the solo life. Who needs them anyway, the beach is more fun alone and drinks are better when you don’t have to share.
1 oz cherry vodka
1 oz peach schnapps
Canned fruit cocktail and wooden skewer for garnish
1. Combine cherry vodka, peach schnapps, pineapple juice, and cranberry juice in a large shot glass.
2. Skewer canned fruit cocktail on a wooden garnish or toothpick. Alternatively, if you’re feeling crazy, mini umbrellas would be appropriate.
Your Ex’s Heart
This could really work with a variety of ingredients – pickled beets are yummy, but anything you can cut into the shape of a heart works (strawberries maybe?). The basic idea is that you’ve got a gin and tonic, you cut your skewered garnish into a heart and you chant your ex’s name as you stab it over and over again.
3 oz gin
Pickled beet and wooden skewer
1. Combine gin, tonic water, and a dash of lime juice in a cup.
2. Cut your pickled beet (or food garnish of choice) into the shape of a heart, skewer it and stick it in your drink. Admire your handiwork and feel the revenge coursing through your veins.
Listen To: Don’t Speak by No Doubt
Treat Yo Self Drink
Well we’ve given you a nice variety of bitter drinks – rocky relationships and sour love, solo sex and violent revenge. But let’s be real its just a mostly made up holiday and there’s no reason to drink alone. Invite some friends over and make these drinks with joy and glee and friend-love. Finish it up with this decadent treat. Who needs someone to buy you chocolates when you can so easily combine alcohol and Ben and Jerry’s?
4 oz cherry vodka
Ben and Jerry’s Red Velvet Ice Cream (or flavor of choice)
1. Pour cherry vodka into a tall glass and fill the rest with rootbeer (careful of that foam).
2. Add a scoop of your ice cream of choice.
3. Top with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and a cherry. Rejoice!
Listen To: Single Ladies by Beyonce