After a weekend (or multiple weekends) of a little too much drinking, which obviously leads to late night eats, sometimes a detox is necessary for survival. But the thing is I like real food too much to be only drinking juice, and has anyone ever been not hungry and or hangry on a juice cleanse? I think not.

So don’t starve yourself and your wallet on pointless juice cleanses. Instead, try these 5 detoxifying tips that will make you feel like you didn’t drink all that beer last weekend and we’ll pretend like that piece of pizza was actually a new kind of superfood.

1. Eat all the green foods.

Detox

Photo by Sean Koetting

Spinach, kale, broccoli, arugula, and other organic leafy foliage contain chlorophyll, a green pigment that is cuh-ray-zy good for you. While chlorophyll helps to detox your liver, it also helps to rid the body of harmful environmental toxins from metals, pesticides, and cleaning products.

2. Get your sweat on.

Detox

Photo by Danny Schuleman

Sweating from exercise helps to get things moving and lets your organs know that they need to do their detoxifying job. Exercising also helps blood, rich in oxygen, to circulate to your vital organs including your lungs, giving off carbon dioxide. And obviously sweating releases toxins through your skin, cleansing your body from the inside out. Don’t forget to always make sure to replenish your body with some of these snacks.

3. Spice up yo life.

Detox

Photo by Hannah Lin

Besides making your food tasty, spices such as turmeric promote optimal liver function, a key organ in detoxifying your bod. Cayenne pepper gives your metabolism a boost, cinnamon helps to reduce inflammation, rosemary contains antioxidants that defend against free radicals, and ginger promotes nutrient and mineral absorption. Here are some even more health benefits of spices.

4. Foliage is your friend.

Detox

Photo courtesy of Mindbodygreen.com

Get a detoxifying house plant. Indoor air quality is important and something a lot of us don’t even think about. Let’s face it, dorm rooms are gross and even though you can pretend like you didn’t see that giant dust bunny, it doesn’t make it go away. Plants like aloe vera, bamboo palm, and English ivy help to eliminate toxins in the air from paint, cleaning products and dust. Bonus: growing plants like these will make cooking a lot more fun and easy.

5. Gatoradeee.. H2O.. Gatorade.. H2O

Detox

Photo by Caroline Grew

Drink more water! As annoying as it is to have everyone tell you to drink more water, it’s true and they’re right. Drinking 2 liters of water a day can dramatically increase your body functions by giving your cells the water they need. A faster metabolism, clearer skin, and better digestion are all benefits of staying hydrated while giving you more energy. So aim for light yellow pee, but clear is even better (maybe that’s TMI but it’s for your health so whatever).

Check out these articles for more detox tips and recipes: