1. Wine tour or wine tasting.

valentine's day ideas

Photo by Daniel Schuleman

A scenic drive out to a vineyard and a sampling of some tasteful and unique wines is definitely one way to sweep your SO of his or her feet. If you are staying in Ithaca for Valentine’s day, check out the famous Cayuga Lake Wine Trail. Pick your favorite wine to take home and enjoy later that evening over a candlelit, home-cooked dinner.

2. A little friendly competition never hurt anybody.

valentine's day ideas

Photo by Lauren J. Kaplan

Show off your competitive side and kick off the night with a mini Iron Chef cook-off. Choose one main ingredient and see who can come up with the best dish using whatever you have in your fridge and pantry. The best part? Tasting what you guys made and enjoying each other’s company.

3. Discover a new restaurant together.

valentine's day ideas

Photo by Ben Roaman

Pick a restaurant that neither of you have ever tried and make reservations for a Valentine’s day dinner. Who knows? The place might just become you and your SO’s new go-to date night restaurant. Ask your server for recommendations, and try the restaurant’s unique specialities and guest favorites. If you are looking for a downright sexy and romantic atmosphere,  you cannot go wrong with Madeline’s Restaurant in Downtown Ithaca.

4. Take a cooking class together.

valentine's day ideas

Photo by Leigh Needham

Italian, Japanese, vegan, desserts — there are an endless number of cooking classes to choose from. Not only will it be a fun (and educational) way to spend time with your SO, but you will also get to savor every delicious bite of what you cook up together. Not only do cooking classes make a fun date night, but they are also a great Valentine’s day gift for food lovers.

5. Play a little poker.

valentine's day ideas

Photo by Jeanne Kessira

Finish off the evening by getting your poker face on. But instead of wagering money, gamble with the ultimate aphrodisiac: chocolate. And if you finish all your chocolates before the night ends? Well, some strip poker is guaranteed to lead to a steamy and erotic evening.