Everyone knows that college students aren’t always on top of their nutrition game. High stress levels, limited options in the dining hall, whatever your excuse may be — you probably aren’t getting the nutrients you need. But don’t worry, these trails mix recipes are here to help.

Cheap, healthy, and tasty  trail mix is the ultimate snack food. These mixes target nutrients like fiber, vitamins, calcium, protein, and carbohydrates that’ll make you look and feel great. So set down the chocolate bar and try one of these instead. 

If You Want Fiber 

trail mix

Photo courtesy of Patsy K.

These mixes will help you improve your fiber intake. Who cares about fiber? You should, fiber has been proven to keep you full longer and makes your skin look great.

If you’re looking for a fall-inspired mix, try combining: pecans, pumpkin seeds, almonds, dried cranberries, and caramel popcorn. If you like spicy combinations, try mixing: pistachio nuts, wasabi peas, cashews and coconut flakes.

If You Want Vitamins

trail mix

Photo courtesy of albanesecandy.com

Vitamins are great because they help prevent heart disease and keep your eyesight sharp. Sadly most college students eat nowhere near the recommended amount of vitamins. Don’t worry though because these trail mixes make vitamins way more enjoyable.

For a more traditional mix, try: sunflower seeds, M&Ms, raisins, and hazelnuts. If you’re feeling wild, try: banana chips, walnuts, dried mango and yogurt covered raisins.

If You Want Calcium

trail mix

Photo courtesy of realkidseatspinach.com

Step aside milk, there’s a new way to get the calcium you need. Everyone knows that calcium helps your bones, but what most people don’t know is that calcium can help control your blood pressure. So when you’re feeling stressed, pay extra attention to these mixes.

If you’re looking for an early morning snack, try: yogurt covered raisins, Cheerios, granola and almonds. For a sweet treat, try: dried figs, dried blueberries, chocolate covered cranberries and gogi berries. 

If You Want Protein

trail mix

Photo courtesy of greatist.com

Is your hair looking dull and flat? Nails chipping constantly? You probably need more protein. Protein keeps your hair and nails healthy plus it helps your body build and repair tissue. Put down the peanut butter jar and mix it up with these combinations.

If you’re feeling nostalgic for your elementary school lunches, try a PB&J inspired mix of peanut butter chips, dried cranberries, peanuts, and dried strawberries. Elvis fans should try a mix of banana chips, peanut butter chips, dark chocolate chips, and coconut flakes.

If You Want Carbohydrates

trail mix

Photo courtesy of bluebonnetbaker.com

If you find yourself falling asleep in class, try these carbohydrate packed mixes. Carbs will keep your energy levels up and prevent you from getting sick. Plus, some sources claim carbs have been proven to prevent weight gain so say goodbye to the freshman 15.

If you love cereal, make sure to try a mixture of Chex cereal, Cheerios, almonds, and raisins. A combination of dried apples, granola, dried peaches, cashews, and peanuts is a perfect mid-morning snack.