Spoon University Logo
Lifestyle

5 Trader Joe’s Coffee Hacks That Will Change Completely Your Caffeine Game

When you’re running late to your 9 a.m. class, stopping at a coffee shop isn’t always the most time-efficient way to get your caffeine fix for the day, so maybe it’s time to become your own barista. Luckily for customers, Trader Joe’s has it all: friendly cashiers, seasonal treats, affordable prices, and the answer to all things coffee. Here are five Trader Joe’s coffee hacks that will help you save money, show you how to use products in unexpected ways, and (most importantly) leave you with a delicious beverage. 

Cold Brew Concentrate, $8.99

Instead of an expensive cafe run, save some money with Trader Joe’s Cold Brew Concentrate. One 32-ounce bottle retails at $8.99 and serves 12 cups of coffee — a far cry from the pricey ready-to-drink cold brews at many other stores. Just add some ice to your favorite glass, add water and a splash of the concentrate, and you’ll be ready to head out to your first class of the day.

Cinnamon Bun Spread,  $3.99 (In-Season Price) 

One of Trader Joe’s many beloved seasonal treats, the Cinnamon Bun Spread is the perfect addition for sweet coffee lovers. On TikTok, @Lutinii added about a teaspoon of the spread to her coffee, and you can do the same with your favorite hot coffee blend. Be sure to stir the mixture thoroughly, making sure the cinnamon spread is fully dissolved. You can also pour the now-flavored coffee over ice or add creamer depending on your taste. Other seasonal flavors like Trader Joe’s Brown Sugar Creamer pair well with the spread. 

Frozen Cold Brew Bars

@mua.pisces

so much better than using ice and having watered down iced coffee 😭 #coffeeaddict #coffee #traderjoes #fyp

♬ Party Rock Anthem – The Chipmunks & The Chipettes

TikTok user @mua.pisces used Trader Joe’s Cold Brew Latte dessert bars in place of ice and creamer in her drink. Unfortunately, the dessert bars have long since been discontinued, but you can still do this hack with a little bit of DIY-ing. Mix your choice of Trader Joe’s coffee (all priced around $8.99) and a splash of creamer in a bowl. Pour the mix into a clean ice tray, place in the freezer, and let set for three to four hours. Add the ice cubes to any hot or cold drink and enjoy — no more watered-down drinks from here on out!

French Vanilla Ice Cream, $4.49

For a sweet treat that feels straight off the specialty menu at Starbucks, use Trader Joe’s French Vanilla Ice Cream in place of your typical coffee creamer. For only $4.49, buy a quart of the vanilla ice cream, add a scoop or two to a mug of piping hot coffee, and stir until melted. Then you’ll be left with a rich, creamy beverage that will satisfy your sweet tooth while also keeping you energized.

Cookie Butter, $3.99

Like the cinnamon bun spread, Trader Joe’s carries Speculoos’ Cookie Butter, and it’s the perfect addition to your go-to coffee. A 14 ounce jar retails at only $3.99 and is available year round. Prepare similarly to the cinnamon bun spread. Cookie butter is incredibly sweet on its own, so it would pair best with a milder creamer like an oat or almond milk.

Emma is member of the Spoon University National Writers Program. She enjoys writing about anything and everything from food trends on social media to the latest fast food drop.  Outside of Spoon U, Emma is a senior Communication and Media Studies major at Pace University. There, she is the president of Her Campus at Pace and a writer for the school paper, the Pace Press. Emma is also an honors college student who will be completing her senior thesis in the coming year. She is graduating a year early in May of 2025.  In her free time, Emma can frequently be found cafe-hopping around NYC on the hunt for the best oat milk cappuccino. She loves to try new ice cream places and is always happy to lay back, watch a movie, and eat some good Chinese food. Most of all, Emma loves a good charcuterie spread (because who doesn't), and her dream job would be professional cheese pairing.