Two weeks ago marked the official start of spring. Exciting, but hard news to believe due to the fact that the Northeast has been hit with two snow storms since. Even so, just the thought of warmer weather, blue skies, and blooming cherry blossoms is enough to make you want to lay on the green grass with the sun shining on your face. And what else does the change in seasons make us want to do? That’s right. Eat all the spring food.

There are so many foods that are as fresh as spring itself, turning your spring fever way up. When the day comes that the sun is finally out and the air is warm, here are a few ways to fill your picnic basket.

1. Mixed Fruit Bowl with Mint and Lime Juice

One of my family's favorite spring traditions is to pick fresh blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries from the garden. My dad would then mix them into a big bowl with about a half a cup of minced mint leaves and another half a cup of lime juice. The mint and lime juice work so well together and bring out the bright flavors of the fruit, making this an irresistible spring treat.

2. Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich

peanut butter, bread, butter, jam, peanut, spread

I know what you're thinking, but hear me out. There's something about the simplicity of a PB&J that just seems to fit in perfectly with the theme of spring. I like to make my PB&J’s with thinly sliced whole-wheat Pepperidge Farm bread, strawberry jelly, and Smucker’s all-natural peanut butter. The thinly sliced component is key because it builds the perfect ratio of bread to jelly and peanut butter.

3. PB&J Smoothie

strawberry, ice, cream, sweet, sorbet, berry, dairy product, milk, yogurt, banana, smoothie, pouring, cup, glass
Caroline Ingalls

A great alternative to a PB&J sandwich is my favorite strawberry, banana, and peanut butter smoothie. Usually, I will put in about half a cup of strawberries, half a banana, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Then, I'l add plain yogurt, sweet honey, orange juice, and blend it all together for a creamy drink that is bound to give you energy and keep you full for the day. If you are lactose intolerant, a great replacement for the yogurt is lactose-free “kefir.”

4. Kale Salad

Lynn Huffard

This salad just screams spring. It's refreshing, yet simple, and is everything that I crave on a bright, spring day. Start with a fresh bed of kale (arugula and spinach will work as well) and top it with goat cheese, strawberries, and roasted walnuts.

5. Peach and Strawberry Yogurt Popsicle

5. Peach and Strawberry Yogurt Popsicle

No picnic is complete without dessert. Made from fresh strawberry and peach slices, honey, and vanilla greek yogurt, this popsicle is the perfect ending to a spring picnic. The yogurt helps make the popsicle deliciously creamy and is sure to cool you down while you're enjoying the sun.

To me, there is no better way to celebrate the warmer weather than by spending time outside. Luckily, picnic season is just around the corner, which means there's plenty of time to enjoy all of your favorite spring foods.