After not working out for a while or having never lifting weight before, it can seem like a daunting task. Everyone should give weight lifting a chance since it is a great work out, even if the first few times seem scary. But when you are just starting out to lift, there are a few different phases you go through.

1. Excited and nervous

lifting

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

When you start lifting you are in the mindset that you got this… even though you have no clue what you are doing.You feel like a loser having to read all the instructions on the machines or having to try four different weights before you find the right weight, but you still cannot wait to get started.

2. Feeling super awkward

lifting

GIf courtesy of Giphy.com

Right when you start to use the machines and lift you still feel like you don’t know what you’re doing and people are looking at you funny, even though they aren’t. Once you start to feel like you have got the hang of it, you see that everyone else is basically lifting a car when you are struggling with 30 pounds.

3. Feeling accomplished

lifting

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

Lifting may seem like the bro workout and the gym is filled with annoying guys like that. But do not let that discourage you. People of all abilities, ages, and genders are working out. And after you finish your workout when you are pushing yourself for something new, you feel great. Then once you get the hang of it, you can lift heavier weights and feel awesome.

4. Being more sore than you thought was possible

lifting

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

A day or two later it hits: the soreness. You feel like your arms are noodles and you will never be able to lift them again. It can feel like parts of your body you didn’t know existed before hurt. You never want to go back again cause the burn is too much too handle.

5. Going back to do it all over again

lifting

Gif courtesy of Giphy.com

Once the soreness subsides after a few days you go back and do it again. Pushing yourself with lifting is great. Don’t be too hard on yourself if you aren’t the best at first. You are going back to get better, and that is all that matters. So let yourself hate weights for a day cause they made your body hurt, and then get up and go back.