Have you noticed how some students are trading in their S'well water bottles for cans of sparkling water? The trend is real. Sparkling water is finally losing its pretentious reputation. Walking into grocery stores, you can witness the beautiful sight of colorful bottles  and cans of carbonated goodness lining the shelves. One sip at a time, college students are realizing how refreshing those carbonated bubbles are.

One important distinction should be made before discussing my judgement of the following brands. Sparkling water is not the same as tonic, club soda, or seltzer. Each varies in the amount of carbonation and other chemical properties.

For this article, sparkling water is understood as having a distinct mineral flavor along with naturally-occurring carbon content. This might sound scientific, but it's just leveling the playing field.

5. Schweppes

Meg Gleason

This Swiss-based sparkling water is often overshadowed by its co-stars, Schweppes Tonic Water and Ginger Ale. Schweppes Sparkling Water is available in a variety of flavors, but the Original is the most well known. Schweppes has been bottling up bubbles since 1783, which is why it might make you think of your grandparents.

Antiquated feelings aside, Schweppes is well-established and puts out a great product filled with bubbles that never seem to go flat.

4. Sparkling ICE Flavored Waters

Meg Gleason

Who says sparkling water has to be colorless? Gracing the shelves with vibrant hues of orange, red, and green, Sparkling ICE waters are a favorite of many who want a taste of flavored bubbles. ICE is popular among many young consumers because of its intense flavors, such as Cherry Limeade, Kiwi Strawberry, and Orange Mango.

It is also the most nutritional of all the sparking waters on the list, providing a dose of Vitamin B for its consumers, while still steering clear of any calories. ICE flavors are refreshingly tangy and sweet, and when the bubbles are added the fun only grows.

3. Perrier

Meg Gleason

Perrier is very popular, and in the recent past the company has been adding flavors to its drinks. This would not be a problem, but the availability of regular Perrier seems to be diminishing in some stores.

I have found that over time, if left to sit, Perrier can begin to taste like its plastic container, which is the only drawback of this brand. Perrier provides a crisp punch of bubbles when served cold, but beware of leaving it out at room temperature for too long.

2. LaCroix

Meg Gleason

No matter how you pronounce the name, there is no dispute that LaCroix has conquered the flavored sparkling water game—coconut, lime, mango, cran-raspberry, apricot—the list goes on.

Unlike Sparkling ICE Flavored Waters, LaCroix flavors tend to only have one flavor per can. The taste is crisp and refreshing, and something about drinking out of a can rather than a plastic bottle makes the bubbles more intense.

1. San Pellegrino

Meg Gleason

What can I say? The Italians know their way around sparkling water. Encapsulated in a beautiful green bottle, San Pellegrino sparkling water is packed full of healthy minerals. The bubbles are smooth and seem to tickle your tongue rather than waging war with the carbon. San Pellegrino is beautiful, inside and out.

Whether you're looking for a blast of fruity flavor or the taste of pure bubbles, there is a sparkling water out there for you. Cheers.