As a new college student living alone for the first time, it’s easy to ditch healthy habits and resort to pigging out with friends. We’ve all had those nights where we go through sleeves of Oreos and bags of popcorn–especially because mom and dad aren’t around to bother us about making better choices.

However, creating healthy habits for getting back on track is extremely manageable. Obviously, we all have our guilty pleasures, and we shouldn't deprive ourselves of those. That's why I have explored healthy alternatives that satisfy those sweet and savory cravings.

1. PB2

milk, coffee, sweet, corn, wheat, cereal
Kevin Kozlik

I can rave about PB2 all day long. PB2 is a powdered peanut butter that, when mixed with water, turns into the consistency of regular peanut butter. However, the calories in PB2 are significantly less than regular peanut butter and tastes just as good. For those chocolate lovers out there: PB2 also comes in a chocolate flavor. Whenever I want something sweet, chocolate PB2 on a rice cake– or honestly just with a spoon– is my go-to. 

2. Apple Chips

sweet, apple
Christine Pritula

Apple chips are a perfect snack to stock up on for your dorm room. I always grab for apple chips to satisfy my sweet tooth and the crunch I constantly crave from not-so-healthy chips and crackers. My personal favorite flavor are the Bare cinnamon apple chips. If you haven’t tried them already, you need to get your hands on them.

3. Skinny Pop

cream, sweet, dairy product, dairy, milk
Natalie Marshall

Popcorn is one of the first things that comes to mind when I think of a typical dorm room snack. Skinny Pop is a perfect alternative to other buttery, fattening popcorns. If you want to get creative, throw together a snack bowl using Skinny Pop and whatever other sweet and salty snacks you desire like nuts, pretzels, or dark chocolate chips. 

4. Greek Yogurt

beer, tea
Alex Frank

A staple protein-packed snack when you're craving something sweet is Greek yogurt. The variety of flavors are endless and range from vanilla to strawberry to pumpkin pie. My personal favorite is the Dannon Light & Fit toasted coconut vanilla.

#SpoonTip: If you're in need of a fast, on-the-go breakfast, add some granola or fruit to make your yogurt more filling.

5. Carrots

carrot, pasture, vegetable
Nick Schmidt

Although fresh veggies aren't the most appealing snack in the fridge, they are most definitely a healthy essential. I often just crave a crunchy snack. Instead of going for chips, carrots are a perfect alternative. If carrots alone are too bland for you, dip them in humus or peanut butter. I know, carrots and peanut butter? Trust me, the combination is addicting.