Midterms are finally over, snow is hitting the ground and you are counting down the days left for Thanksgiving break. Many of us will be traveling long distances to get home for turkey day, with some having to take long and arduous drives. And if there’s one thing everyone agrees on, it’s that road trips with no food are not worth it. Keep reading to find out how to plan ahead and be prepared for the hunger pangs that hit you on the road.

Nuts

road trip snack

Photo by Kirby Barth

If you’re craving something salty and crunchy, think twice before reaching for a bag of chips. A handful of nuts like almonds, walnuts or pistachios will give you a dose of healthy fats to keep your stomach from growling all the way home. They also contain protein that will keep you full for the duration of your trip.

Energy Bars

road trip snack

Photo by Hannah Lin

Energy bars are a quick and convenient food items to travel with, as long as you choose the right one. Your bar should be low in sugar, high in protein and fiber and be made with natural ingredients. Check out these bars and pack your favorite ones.

Pre-Packaged Vegetables

road trip snack

Photo by Abbie Ginis

Vegetables are always a good choice of food to snack on. Pre-packaged carrots, celery or grape tomatoes are low in calories and, when paired with hummus, not only taste great, but also provide much-needed protein.

Cheese

road trip snack

Photo by Tori Baier

Low-fat individual serve cheese or cheese sticks are great on-the-go snacks. They are low calorie, high calcium foods that are easy to eat and don’t create a mess.

Jerky

road trip snack

Photo by Tess Wei

For you meat lovers that will be travelling over break, beef jerky is a convenient and delicious snack to bring with you. It is low carb and high protein and provides you the energy you need to get through those last few hours of driving. Stick with the brands that use fewer preservatives and more natural ingredients.

More to get you through the long drive home:

How to Pack a Road Trip Lunch

The 17 Struggles Every College Student Faces During Thanksgiving

Our Funniest, Weirdest, Most Memorable Thanksgiving Stories