Yoga is a great way to get in touch with your mind, body, and spirit. It is great for releasing anxiety and tension, stretching and strengthening, and self-reflection. However, we can also use yoga to help us think about different areas of our body. When doing a yoga pose, you can start to feel what calf is tighter and which hip is looser than the other.

Instead of focusing on our leg and arm muscles, we can start to get in touch with the muscles inside our body, like our esophagus, stomach, and intestines.

Have you ever not wanted to go to a yoga class because you’re afraid you’ll stink up the room after having too many fiber bars? Or maybe you couldn’t resist having the entire popcorn bag last night and just feel ten pounds heavier? Well we have some yoga poses for you that can help ease your digestion and kill that bloating.

1. Crunches

Why? Crunches “crunch” (no pun intended) all the air out of your stomach. You might want to do these at home before you hit the mat in the studio to get out that extra air that’s been lying in your stomach.
How? Lie on your back with your feet against the floor so your knees are pointed up.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

Put your hands behind your head. To do a crunch, curl your shoulders off the floor and lift up so your shoulders are up but your lower back is still on the ground.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

Release your shoulders back down. Do 3 sets of 15-20 crunches.

2. Knees to Chest

Why? This pose is relaxing and opens up your backside while lightly pushing down on your stomach to release any gas or bloating.
How? Lie on your back and hug your knees to your chest.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

Slowly draw your knees closer to your chest as you exhale on each breath. Stay for about 10-15 breaths.

3. Bridge Pose

Why? This pose brings the blood that rushes down you to your legs back up to your torso, causing stomach relief to make you feel less crappy.
How? Lie on your back and lay your arms parallel to your sides. Bend your knees so the backs of your heels are touching your fingertips. Push your butt and back into the air to make a 45-degree angle with your head.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

Stay for about 5-10 breaths.

4. Cat-Cow

Why? Cat-Cow opens your stomach to relieve stress, gas, and bloating while also helping food to move through your system.
How? Get on all fours and keep your back straight as if it were a table.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

On inhale, curve your spine to the ceiling and tuck your chin into your neck.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

On exhale, curve your spine to drop your stomach towards the floor and lift your head up.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

Do 10 rotations of cat-cow.

5. Seated Heart-Opener

Why? This pose opens your stomach to relieve stress, gas, and bloating, similar to cat-cow. This pose also opens up your chest, bringing a lot of oxygen into your stomach to help improve digestion.
How? Sit with your knees tucked under you with your feet under your bum. With a straight, tall back, roll your shoulders back, lift your head up, and bring your hands by your feet, opening your stomach. Drop your head back and breathe deep breaths.

yoga

Photo by Kate Spitler

Hold for 10 breaths.

Yoga is a sport where you can do anywhere and anytime. Whether you’re watching TV or in the studio, it only takes a few minutes to whip through these poses to keep your digestion moving. These poses will help you move through the day without having to worry about where the next bathroom is.