I would say that I was a smart kid, at least when it came to my lunches. Everyday I would march into the cafeteria, plop myself down at one of the tables, and begin creating what really is the classic elementary school concoction: a sandwich with chips.

The whole process took about two minutes. I would unwrap my sandwich from its aluminum foil shell, pull apart the top of the Lays chip bag, and stuff a handful of crunchiness between the bread and turkey.

Chips added the well-needed texture (that crunch!) to those often boring sandwiches. It is time to go back to our childhoods and take some tips from our elementary school selves. Here are five sandwich/chip combinations that will spice up your lunch.

1. The Cookout: Chicken Breast, Mozzarella, and BBQ Chips

sandwich

Photo by Naomi Shi

This is for those days when you can’t fire up the grill, but you crave that BBQ flavor.

2. The Mexican Veg: Roasted Vegetables, Guacamole, and Blue Corn Tortilla Chips

sandwich

Photo by Naomi Shi

This one is crunchy, tasty AND colorful.

3. The Extra-Crunchy Classic: Ham, Swiss, and Ruffles

sandwich

Photo by Naomi Shi

This is the one that’ll bring you back to those elementary school days. Throw in a juice box and you’re set.

4. The Sweet & Salty: Peanut Butter, Strawberry Jam, and Ruffles

sandwich

Photo by Naomi Shi

Everyone has their favorite kind of peanut butter, so bust out yours and make this salty and sweet combo.

5. The Fiery Turkey: Smoked Turkey, Provolone, and Spicy Sweet Chili Doritos

sandwich

Photo by Naomi Shi

Kind of a classic, but reinvented.