We all love a good square of dark chocolate every now and then. Luckily, you don't have to give up chocolate to maintain a healthy diet — in fact, chocolate in moderation can benefit your body (and soul). As this chilly winter drags on, adding in a square or two of chocolate each day might be a good thing. Here's why.

1. Excellent Source of Iron

chocolate, candy, sweet, coffee

During colder months, it can be even harder for people with iron deficiency anemia to meet their daily iron goal. If you're anemic, it is easier to feel fatigued and cold, which can be a especially difficult when it’s already cold outside. It may be good to add some chocolate to your diet. A serving of 45-60% dark chocolate has 3.5mg iron, which is 20% of your daily needs.

2. Rich In Antioxidants

chocolate, chips, sweet, chocolate chips, cocoa
Caroline Ingalls

Antioxidants are important because they scavenge for free radicals in your body and terminate them before any cellular damage can be done. Basically, they help keep our body healthy and functioning at its best. Antioxidants can be found in many fruits and vegetables and beans, but the most enjoyable (and therefore maybe reliable) way to get those antioxidants in is via chocolate intake.

3. Endorphins and Serotonin: a Love Affair

sweet, pastry, cookie, cake, candy, chocolate, doughnut, jam
Anthony Shu

Endorphins and serotonin are two hormones that are infamously known as the "feel good hormones". Eating chocolate increases the levels of endorphins released in the brain,  helping give you that cloud nine, chocolate bliss feeling. Another common neurotransmitter is serotonin, known as a serious mood booster. The best part about these two brain chemicals is that eating chocolate boosts levels of BOTH of these in the brain. If it's rainy outside and you're feeling down, chocolate is a good option. 

4. Raises Good Cholesterol

bite, chocolate bar, Hershey's, chocolate
Kayla Hawthorne

Dark chocolate has recently been found to raise HDL levels, which is the good cholesterol found in your body and every single cell. HDL cholesterol helps make up cell membranes and regulate hormone production. This is thanks to the cocoa butter in dark chocolate. It contains oleic acid, a monounsaturated fatty acid that is beneficial for the body. Dark chocolate with a side of healthy cholesterol? Count me in.

5. Dark Chocolate Tastes AWESOME

chocolate, candy, sweet, cream, milk, goody, cake
Sarina Raman

Dark chocolate is good with literally anything. In ice cream, used as a dipping sauce for fruits or plain as an afternoon pick-me-up or nightcap to end a long day. No matter what the occasion, a square or two of dark chocolate is probably the answer.