Across the internet, there are innumerable articles on how to use protein powder in your diet. From protein smoothies to protein pancakes, the recipes are abundant. Here’s the thing: there are no benefits to using protein powder. Don’t believe me? Just read.

1. You don’t need the extra protein

protein powder

GIF courtesy of teenvogue.com

Unless told otherwise by a physician or dietitian, only about 15 percent of your daily caloric intake should come from protein. This is because we metabolize carbohydrates first, then fats as a backup, and then protein as an absolute last resort. Protein metabolism itself uses up more energy than it gives back to the body, making it a super inefficient, minor fuel source.

2. More protein does not mean more muscle

protein powder

GIF courtesy of popsugar.com

Yes, you read that correctly. Eating more protein than you need will not build muscle mass. You know what will happen, though? All of that extra protein will be converted into and stored as fat in your body.

3. It’s extra work for your liver and kidneys

protein powder

GIF courtesy of imgur.com

Increased protein intake = increased urine output = increased risk of dehydration and sad organs. Combat that with these five foods to help you fight dehydration.

4. It’s not regulated by the FDA

protein powder

GIF courtesy of bravotv.com

Supplements do not need FDA approval before production or marketing. The safety and effectiveness of these products can’t even be evaluated until after they reach consumers. So your post-workout protein shake is probably a 28-ounce bottle of lies.

5. It’s expensive

protein powder

Prices for protein powders range from $12 to $100. For something that your body does not need, it sure does cost a lot. Think of all the other things your money could be used for instead of being wasted on this stuff.

If you’re serious about building muscle, then you need to focus on eating a balanced diet. Think of it this way: your body needs to have a solid foundation and enough materials before it can start expanding. So find out how much protein you actually need and go get huge.