We’ve all been there. It’s late at night and you’ve got the munchies. The obvious move is to hit up the local diner on campus. You speed walk to your destination and push open the door with the restaurant’s hours posted. They close in 5 minutes. It’ll be fine right? Wrong.

You don’t wanna be that customer, right?

Now, there are already tips for how to be a good cashier, but did you know there’s also etiquette for being a good customer? That’s right, your cashier has feelings too. Here are some of the mistakes you’re making that makes your cashier hate you:

You Complain About Prices

cashier

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Cashiers usually only make minimum wage (except at Costco, where they make $20/hour), so they understand that menu prices can be ridiculous. Contrary to popular belief, there is no secret cashier meeting where prices are made up. Complaining to your cashier will only make them annoyed.

You Don’t Tip

cashier

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Let’s face it: cashiers do much more than just take your order. At many small businesses, cashiers are also in charge of cleaning bathrooms and washing trays, and even cleaning the entire dining room. If you’re eating in, you really should be tipping.

You Change Your Order Last Minute

cashier

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

It’s totally fine to ask for suggestions or have a complicated request, but if you decide you want your burger medium-rare after we hand you your food, there’s gonna be a problem.

You Ask for Something That’s Not on the Menu

cashier

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

Some places, like Starbucks, have a secret menu, but your local diner probably does not. It’s incredibly difficult to make every customer a signature dish, and not to mention hard to ring up at the cash register. Save everyone the trouble by keeping it simple.

You’re Creepy

cashier

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

By now, we should all know that there’s a difference between being friendly and creepy. Your cashier should have no problem with small talk, but it gets creepy when you linger by the register. Learn to tell when enough is enough.

So now you know. Now, go forth and make your cashier happy.