Whether it be on Facebook or Instagram, people can’t help but come across current popular food trends. Sometimes these attention-grabbing trends result in foods that taste as good as they look. However, other times they simply do not live up to the hype, or their cool appearances result in a funky, unpleasant taste. Today, we are going to take a look at five overrated food trends that need to be gone in 2019.

5. Poké Everything

Poké has gained a lot of popularity in recent years, resulting in some restaurants serving it in different forms. Poké “burritos” are alright because they are essentially just thicker sushi rolls that haven’t yet been sliced into pieces, but I put my foot down when it comes to poké “pizza”. Intriguing because its name combines two very different foods, the reality is that poké pizza is just floppy and messy, pizza-shaped sushi. I love poké as much as the next person, but eating it in bowl-form with a spoon is quite frankly the best, most efficient way to eat it.

4. Avocados

on

Yes, the lifeblood of your average millennial. Sure avocados can look pretty, formed into a rose over a salad or smushed over a piece of bread, but when it comes to flavor profile they are honestly pretty bland. People hype them up as if they add something extraordinary or magical to food, but they can’t do well on their own without the help of a number of other ingredients. Obviously we can't get rid of using avocados in food, but some people need to calm down about them.

3. Giant Food

Giant burgers, giant pizzas, giant ice cream sundaes, the list goes on. The U.S. is known for its huge portion sizes so why not hyperbolize that fact by making food even more ridiculously large? I get it, they look surprising in photos and the shock-value never fails to reel in curious customers. However, realistically, having so much of one food is not super enjoyable to eat and can even be wasteful.

2. Gold

Many places have added gold foil to bagels, pizza, cupcakes, macarons, etc. to make them more extravagant-looking and luxurious. But really, who wants their food to be crazy expensive with really no added benefits?

1. Limited Edition Starbucks Frappuccinos

This section is an overview of popular themed trends such as unicorns, mermaids, and various other colorful mythical creatures.

I can’t deny it, I am basic as heck and love me some Sbux. But I think that the hype people created online about limited edition Starbucks Frappes was a little bit ridiculous. Overall, these drinks looked OK, didn't taste that great, and were an inconvenience for baristas to make.

At the end of the day, if you enjoy any of these overrated food trends, that is completely fine; live how you want and eat what you want in 2019.