Vegans are too extreme; vegans are unhealthy; vegans are preachy; vegans are boring; vegans are annoying. It’s about time you ditch these myths, and here’s why.

1. Vegans try way too hard to be healthy

Photo courtesy of @tasteofthebear on Instagram

While going vegan does entail eating a large amount of fruits and vegetables (since they are the most abundant food sources for plant-based diets), it does not mean that we are “too healthy.” We do care about our health — but what’s wrong with that? And hey, not all vegans are health maniacs. We do love our bread, pasta, and vegan junk foods, too.

2. Vegans don’t consume enough nutrients

Photo courtesy of @trulymicel on Instagram

Still wondering where vegans get protein from? Lentils, beans, tofu, broccoli, quinoa, peas, seeds, nuts, dark leafy greens, non-dairy milk, and tempeh. And don’t assume that these proteins are inferior to meat. Black beans, for example, contain 21 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to a measly 14 grams for beef.

In addition, choosing plant-based over animal protein enables you to avoid a considerable amount of saturated fat, cholesterol, antibiotics, hormones and many other harmful chemicals, therefore reducing the risk of cancer and many diseases associated with high-protein animal product consumption.

Photo courtesy of

You might also be asking about calcium. Vegans can get ample calcium from sources like non-dairy milk, tofu, legumes, beans, and even greens. They are also much healthier than dairy, which has been shown to increase the risk of numerous health problems such as bone fracture, lactose intolerance, various cancers, and cardiovascular diseases.

Check out these articles if you’re interested in learning more about non-dairy milk alternatives and dairy-free ice cream.

Photo courtesy of

Then there’s vitamin B12, a nutrient that helps keep blood cells healthy and maintains a healthy nervous and digestive system. Because B12 is naturally present in all animal products, it is true that vegans can easily suffer from B12 deficiency if we don’t pay enough attention to our diet.

Taking supplements or getting B12 shots is usually most effective. B12-fortified foods like certain plant milks, cereals, granola bars, and nutritional yeast are also our go-to. You might be wonderin’ “WTF is nutritional yeast?” This stuff tastes bomb and is packed with minerals, protein, fiber and lots of vitamins.

3. Vegan food is boring

Photo courtesy of @uisanags21 on Instagram

“Don’t go vegan unless you want to give up all your favorite food and stuff your face with salad all day every day.” Hang on, how come it’s 2016 and you still haven’t heard of a veggie burger, veggie burrito, vegan pizza, vegan tacos, vegan mac & cheese, vegan cookies, vegan brownies, vegan pancakes, vegan ice cream, vegan EVERYTHING?

Photo courtesy of @tessbegg on Instagram

Vegan comfort food is particularly mouthwatering. Check out these six foods among many that actually taste better vegan. So no, you don’t need to cry when you see that cheeseburger. Go get yourself a giant veggie burger and savor that guilt-free goodness.

4. Being vegan is expensive

Photo by Mia Nguyen

This myth could not be further from the truth. Veggies and fruits are generally cheaper than animal products. Shop wisely and you can save tons of bucks being a healthy vegan.

Some rules of thumb are to buy in bulk when grocery shopping, stock your freezer up with produce, learn how to cook, and know that farmers markets are your best friends. Take a look at some other helpful tips here.

5. Vegans are preachy

GIF courtesy of

Screw stereotypes. Don’t want to eat your fruits and veggies? That’s OK, leave them all for us — we won’t mind.