Eggs are a great food for an on-the-go meal, fancy brunch, or anything in between. But for such a simple food, many myths about eggs have spread. From how to prepare it to how often to eat it, the rumors continue. Here, I explore 5 common myths about eggs so that you can enjoy this delicious food at the best cost and easiest preparation!

Myth #1: Crack an egg on the rim of a bowl

This cooking tip is possibly the worst advice one can give! Cracking an egg on the rim of a bowl only pushes the eggshell back into the egg. This will cause little eggshell pieces to fall into your food or cause you to dump the whole thing. The best way to crack an egg is on a flat surface like a countertop so that the smaller eggshell fragments stick, while the rest of the egg falls into the bowl.

Lauren Zami

Myth #2: Brown eggs are organic

The color of an eggshell does not indicate if the product is organic. The color of the shell actually reflects the color of the bird it came from. Brown hens lay brown eggs, while white hens lay white eggs. Brown hens are often raised on organic farms, so their eggs are considered organic. However, white hens can be raised organically too. The color is ultimately irrelevant to the egg’s organic status.

Brown Eggs Close-Up on a Wooden Background

wuestenigel on Flickr

Myth #3: Egg yolks are bad for you

The age-old nutrition advice declares that egg yolks raise a person’s cholesterol, increasing their risk for cardiovascular diseases. However, newer studies at Harvard and others are proving this notion false. In reality, most of the cholesterol in our body does not come from the cholesterol we eat; instead, it is made by the liver. There is room for all foods in moderation in a balanced diet, and egg yolks are no exception to this.

bread, toast, dairy product, butter, egg
Helena Lin

Myth #4: Separate eggs with the egg shell

Recipes commonly call for either egg whites or egg yolks. Oftentimes, the recipe directs readers to pass the egg back and forth between its shell to separate the two parts. This method is not only unsuccessful, but it is dangerous. It does not effectively separate whites and yolks and encourages the mixing of the shell with the inner parts of the egg. The best way to separate egg yolks and whites is to use your hands, a slotted spoon, or an egg separator.

Myth #5: Organic eggs are healthier

Organic foods are often believed to be of superior quality to non-organic foods. This idea is completely false, as non-organic foods can be just as healthy at a lower price with a longer shelf life. Organic eggs are simply laid by hens fed an organic diet living on organic land. This does not make the product more nutritious in any way.

To sum up:

Now you know the facts, it is clear that eggs should not be avoided! Of course, no food should be over-consumed, but there is room for everything in moderation. And eggs make a perfectly delicious, nutritious, and affordable meal.