New York City is chock-full of some of the most delicious and undeniably Instagramable treats out there. The doughnut scene is no exception. Trendy, elaborate doughnuts are popping up on social media platforms everywhere, and if you've ever wondered where those delicious monstrosities come from, look no further. For tourists and locals alike, these doughnut shops are deserving of a visit from anyone looking to seriously enhance their donut experience. 

1. The Doughnut Project

Prepare to discover a whole new take on these classic sweet treats upon entering The Doughnut Project. This West Village shop delivers more than just your standard chocolate glazed, and with the menu changing daily, the surprises are endless. The famous Everything Doughnut is the perfect example of their truly unmatched uniqueness. This place is surely to exceed your expectations thanks to their constant creativity in the kitchen. 

2. Dough Doughnuts

If you're craving a doughnut so large it could feed a small family, look no further than Dough. The combination of aesthetic appeal and scrumptious flavor makes these doughnuts stand out unlike any other. With locations in Flatiron, Midtown, and Bed Stuy, Brooklyn, there's no reason to pass this place up. Your taste buds will certainly thank you for snagging one of the unique hibiscus or dulce de leche flavors. 

3. Glaze Doughnuts

While this sweet shop is technically located in northern NJ, that didn't stop them from taking home the best doughnut award from Donut Fest NYC in 2016. Glaze serves up a wide variety of delectable flavors including cannoli, red velvet, and their gigantic rendition of the Italian rainbow cookie! This doughnut shop sure knows how to compete with other city favorites, and it's definitely worth the train ride out to the suburbs. It's safe to say that any foodie will find exactly what their looking for at this incredible bakery.

4. Doughnut Plant

When in Chelsea, Doughnut Plant is an absolute must for anyone looking to add an extra boost of sweetness to their day. Flavors such as matcha green tea, black and white cookie, and carrot cake grace the menu of this adorable doughnut shop. The cute and colorful decor only enhances the experience of an already delicious doughnut. And if you're hanging out downtown, don't forget to check out their Lower East Side location, too!

5. Dominique Ansel Bakery

While many doughnut enthusiasts may disagree on the fact that the famous cronut of Dominique Ansel Bakery does not qualify as a true doughnut, I found it nearly impossible not to include this brilliant treat. Blending a croissant and a doughnut never tasted so good at this French pastry shop in SoHo. New limited edition flavors are also released every month. Though the line may seem intimidating, this one-of-a-kind bakery will not disappoint!

6. Donut Pub

If you're spending the day in Union Square Park or shopping along W. 14th Street, don't leave without stopping by this classic doughnut shop located a mere three blocks away. Donut Pub has been a New York City staple since 1964, and their delicious doughnuts have stood the test of time for a reason. Flavors like pumpkin spice, honey dip, and blueberry can be enjoyed any time, since this amazing bakery is open 24/7. If you're looking to satisfy your doughnut craving with a New York original, Donut Pub is the place to be. 

So, next time you're in NYC be sure to add in some extra time for some much needed donut stops... if you can wait until then!