We all love food, but when it comes to healthy eating, things aren’t always as they seem. There’s so many foods out there that claim to be healthy, but we don’t always examine the nutrition facts of every food we consume. These five sneaky snacks are some that you may want to take a second look at. Here are 5 foods you think are healthy but aren't.

1. Starbucks Matcha Green Tea Latte

milk, coffee, tea
Lauren Murray

Just because this drink is green doesn't make it healthy. I ordered a grande green tea matcha latte with almond milk from Starbucks last year. While it was delicious, it left me with a stomach ache which confused me because I even ordered it with ~healthy almond milk. A google search revealed that my stomach ache was a result of the 32 grams of sugar that were hidden in that bright green beverage. Side note: it's recommended to consumer no more than 25 grams of sugar per day.  If it weren't for the Starbucks brand matcha powder, whose first ingredient is sugar, this drink wouldn't be a bad option. 

Instead: Opt for a make your own matcha latte with a clean powder. Brands like Pure Leaf and Nature's Truth are a healthy alternative, and will save you money at the same time. Just a quick whisk of one of these with any type of milk will provide a delicious and healthy drink filled with antioxidants. 

2. Granola

pecan, cereal, granola, sweet
Spoon University

Granola—the perfect addition to any boring plain yogurt or smoothie bowl. I used to eat my granola by the handful like it was popcorn. Unfortunately for me and anyone else who loves granola, it's not the healthy food it seems to be. Most granolas have a very high sugar content with little fiber, which is not an ideal breakfast. A popular brand of granola, Nature’s Valley, contains 12 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fiber per serving.  

Instead: Try to make your own granola or use a more natural brand like Julie's Real granola. This brand has only six grams of sugar and four grams of fiber per serving which is a step up from others. It also boasts a very clean list of ingredients so we can all take a sigh of relief and not feel as bad after binge eating three servings.

3. Veggie Sticks

sweet, chips
Gabby Phi

Veggie Sticks used to be my go-to. They’re colorful and made from veggies, so they must same benefits as a bowl full of raw vegetables... wrong! Aside from the fact that some vegetables are used in the product, veggie sticks are nutritionally similar to most other salty snacks. They're processed, just as the others, and their main ingredients are flour starch and oil. So, while they're better than your typical bag of Doritos, veggie sticks aren't the super healthy chip replacement we wish they were.

Instead: Try kale chips. They're super clean and easy to make if you have access to a kitchen, or are sold in a lot of stores now, too. My favorite kale chips are from Juice Press, I swear they’re better than any other normal chips I’ve ever tried.

4. Flavored Oatmeal

coffee, tea, chocolate
Kourtney Meldrum

Oatmeal has been my go to breakfast for so many years. It’s super convenient, delicious, and can be healthy if you make it the right way. However, there’s some not-so-healthy types of oatmeal out there. Flavored instant oatmeal tends to have a long list of artificial ingredients and a high sugar content. Quaker Oats has a variety of flavored instant oatmeal packets, but each small pack contains around thirteen grams of sugar, which is a big fraction of the twenty five gram limit mentioned earlier.

Instead: Try the plain instant oats. I love to mix fruit and nut butter into mine to give them a bit more flavor. This healthy oat option is just as convenient, more delicious, and leaves me feeling full and energized for much longer.

5. Peanut Butter

cream, sweet, tea, espresso, peanut butter, milk, coffee, jar
Caroline Ingalls

Before you get too upset, just remember that not all peanut butter is created equal. When I say peanut butter is “unhealthy” I’m talking about eating processed peanut butter straight out of the jar. Processed brands of peanut butter tend to add unnecessary sugar and chemicals, like hydrogenated oil. Hydrogenated oils are trans fats, and have been banned in certain places around the world because they’re so bad for your health. These additives are unnecessary because natural peanut butter can taste just as good.

Instead: Try a brand like Teddy Peanut Butter. This brand has no unnecessary additives or chemicals and has a short ingredients list consisting of only dry roasted peanuts and salt. 

We all love to indulge in food, but if we're trying to be healthy it's important to know all the hidden ingredients. So next time you reach for one of these "health foods" remember to look at the nutrition facts because not every food is as healthy as it seems.