We all know you are what you eat. Though it's not entirely fun to believe, it is true in more ways than one. From a young age, we have been told that foods like chocolate and dairy products are a no-no if you want better skin, but here I am to bust that myth.

Not only is food good, of course, but what we consume on a day to day basis can severely determine how we feel and how we look. For example, a vitamin like B12 is most often only found in the food we eat, so all the more reason to do a little research before making a trip to the grocery store.

So, here are five common foods that have been proven to have positive effects on our skin. But, prepare yourself, because you may get hungry.

1. Chocolate

chocolate, chips, chocolate chips, cocoa
Caroline Ingalls

Dark chocolate (in moderation) is actually very beneficial in softening skin texture and overall complexion. Studies have shown that women who consumed three and a half ounces of dark chocolate for twelve weeks reported less scaliness and dryness, and brighter skin than those who did not.

However, according to Lisa Drayer, MA, RD, author of The Beauty Diet suggests sticking to a 1-ounce portion to reap the good skin benefits without really packing on the pounds.

2. Green Tea

jam, oil, tea

Green tea is an easy and hydrating way to get the perfect "glo" this generation is dying to achieve. Green tea is packed with antioxidants which boost blood flow and promote oxygen to the skin's surface, resulting in a beautiful and healthy appearance. Green tea is an easy and portable way to get the ball rollin' and we hope you do not stop there!

3. Almond Milk

milk, tea, water
Alex Frank

We all know how milk is a great source of calcium, but milk's closest cousin, almond milk, is much cooler. Almond milk is an excellent source of vitamin E, a vitamin rich in antioxidants that help trap free radicals in the body.

However, according to a study by Healthline, what makes almond milk unique is the zinc it contains. Zinc can help smooth blemishes, thicken hair, and strengthen nails.

4. Pumpkin

pumpkin, sweet

Not only is pumpkin good for pies and spiced lattes, but pumpkin is high in vitamin A, which has been found to be a huge help in keeping skin soft, smooth, and wrinkle free. Not to mention, pumpkin and their seeds are high in healthy fats which are good for rebuilding collagen in the skin.

5. Sunflower Seeds

herb, sunflower, cereal
Xinwei Zeng

These seeds may be small, but they are powerful, for sure. Sunflower seeds boost elastin production, a protein that keeps skin soft and flexible (elastic). Oh, and did you think that was it? They also have anti-inflammatory superpowers to fight off acne, too!

Whether it's vitamins, antioxidants, or anti-inflammatory powers, these foods are magical for skincare! Hopefully, the next time you go to the grocery store you will go with these foods in mind and you will see a difference in your skin!