He’s staring up at you with those puppy dog eyes you can’t resist and you just have to give him something. But so many manufactured dog treats contain oils and fats that can be bad for him in large quantities. Some dog treats may actually be dangerous for your pup, as regulations concerning the ingredients that go into them are not monitored very carefully (PSA: make sure your dog treats were not made in China).

The safest route would be to make your own dog treats at home, but you don’t always have the time. Plus, Fluffy would appreciate human food just as much as, if not more than, homemade dog treats. Fruits and vegetables may seem like a safe bet, but dogs metabolize foods differently than we do and some human foods, even the healthiest fruits and vegetables, may not be good for them.

Here are some foods you can share with your dog without any concern:

dog

Photo by Katherine Carroll

1. Bananas

This is my dog’s favorite treat. If you peel a banana, he’ll hear it from anywhere in the house and make sure he’s at your side within seconds. They’re high in potassium, fiber, vitamin B6 and vitamin C, making them healthy for both you and your best friend. The fiber is especially helpful as a remedy for any poo issues your dog may get. Next time you slice up half a banana for your oatmeal, mash up the other half and mix it in with your dog’s breakfast.

dog

Photo by Kathleen Lee

2. Yogurt

Greek yogurt is considered a “superfood.” It’s something you should be eating and something that you don’t have to feel guilty about sharing with your dog. It’s great for when your dog needs to take medicine, because you can easily hide a pill inside a bowl of yogurt. It’s much healthier than folding it into a slice of cheese, which is what many people choose to do. You can also freeze it to make frozen yogurt, which your dog will especially appreciate during the summer.

dog

Photo by Hannah Lin

3. Blueberries

Blueberries are filled with antioxidants that are great for you and, with no preparation necessary aside from rinsing, they make a quick and easy snack. Next time you’re popping some berries in front of the TV and your dog is begging (and perhaps drooling) at your side, share some with him. However, be wary of how many you give him, because too many can cause some of those poo issues I was talking about earlier…

dog

Photo by Charlotte Hull

4. Carrots

Another great snack for you and your dog. Since they stay fresh longer than a lot of other fruits and vegetables, you can slice up a bunch at a time and use as needed. They’re easier to transport than a lot of the other foods on this list, so you can take some with you on a walk or to the dog park. You can also steam them and soak them in chicken broth to serve with your dog’s dinner.

dog

tumblr.com

5. Green Beans

Like any other vegetable, they are most nutritious when they’re raw. Some people love raw green beans; others can’t stand them. So next time you’re blanching some green beans for your dinner and your dog is undoubtedly at your side waiting for something, make his day and let a couple of these fall on the floor. You can also give them to him blanched. The more they’re cooked, the more nutrients they lose, but blanched green beans are easier for him to digest.

Although fruits and vegetables may always seem healthy and safe, some can be toxic for dogs. AVOID giving them these foods:

• Grapes
  • Raisins
  • Onions
  • Garlic
  • Cherries
  • Mushrooms
  • Currants
  • Raw potatoes
  • Apricots
  • Rhubarb
  • Apple seeds

If you’re unclear about a food that is not listed in this article, please Google it before feeding it to your dog.