1. The End of Food Trucks

Huffington Post wrote that one of the food trends of 2012 would be the ‘fall of the food trucks.’ And wow, are we glad that this prediction didn’t come true – at least in New York City. Obtaining legal permits is difficult, as one popular food truck, the Cinnamon Snail, is closing, partially due to those difficulties.  But, this prediction was three years ago and food trucks will always find a way. Wafels & Dinges, Gorilla Cheese NYC and nuchas all set up shop in the NYU area, not to mention the countless halal carts, smoothie carts and ice cream trucks that are scattered throughout the city. Living in NYC might add a bias to this, but food trucks have stood the test of food-trend-time so far.

food trends

Photo by Delissa Handoko

2. The Ramen Burger

This time last year, everyone was raving about the Ramen Burger at Smorgasburg, and we’re glad the obsession has faded. Maybe the trend has only faded because of the… spaghetti burger?   Yes, the spaghetti burger, which will also be at Smorgasburg this year, according to their website.

food trends

Photo by Sunny Tang

3. Glazed Doughnut Breakfast Sandwich

Dunkin’ Donuts tried to mix the two amounting to another Internet-crazed, viral menu item that failed to stick around past 2013. As the saying goes, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Doughnuts are forever America’s dessert sweetheart, and bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel will reign supreme in New York.

food trends

Photo Courtesy of Dunkin Donuts

4. Bloody Mary’s Garnished with Burgers, Sausage and Chicken Wings

These wild drinks might be Insta-worthy, but we’re not sure if anyone has figured out if you’re supposed to actually eat the pizza and burgers damp from the Bloody Mary or not.

food trends

Photo by Bonnie Tynes

5. Waffle Taco

Taco Bell added the waffle taco to its breakfast menu last spring, and no one’s taste buds were sure how to manage the overwhelming amount of artificial flavors in one bite. Shortly after Taco Bell attempted the breakfast menu, McDonalds and Taco Bell got into a ‘breakfast war.’ Waffle tacos are not one of those situations where it’s so wrong that it’s right. In fact, it was so wrong that Taco Bell replaced the waffle taco with a biscuit taco a couple of weeks ago.