Nainital, the city of lakes is much known for its scenic beauty, the lakes and of course the boating trips. However, one very important aspect of visiting any new place, as we all know is the huge opportunity to try new dishes and restaurants. Nainital, we must confess was like a hidden treasure of food. There is an immense variety of restaurants and dishes to try from and Mall Road and Bada Bazaar are the places where one should eat all their meals. We took a very short trip and could only try very few dishes, but here’s a list of things you HAVE TO try while you are in Nainital or if you ever plan to visit (or maybe you’ll plan a visit right after reading this article!)

1. Baal Mithai

Nainital

Photo by Bhanvi Satija

The local mithai of Nainital, Baal Mithai could mean nostalgia to many people. It is prepared with roasted khoya, desi ghee and sugar and comes in two forms – one coated with sugar balls (called Baal Mithai) while the other is without the sugar balls (called Choklat). However, the original version is the one with the sugar balls on top and those are the things which will make you want more of this mithai, we bet. Even though Almora District is the place of origin for this mithai, there are sweet shops in Nainital that you just cannot miss trying these at.

#SpoonRecommends: Mamu’s Sweet Shop in Bada Bazaar

2. Kasuri Methi Chicken

Nainital

Photo by Bhanvi Satija

While the name of the dish sounds like it could possibly be on any menu across North India, there is a certain freshness to the Kasuri Methi Chicken that you’ll find in Nainital. Why we put it on the list is because mixing this flavor with chicken cooked to perfection was very close to a heavenly experience for us. One must try the Kasuri Methi Chicken at The Embassy Restaurant on the Mall Road. If you are a vegetarian, there’s nothing to worry about because there is Kasuri Methi Paneer for everyone who doesn’t eat chicken. The vegetarian counterpart of the dish is as good and is definitely recommended.

3. Chatpata Chicken

Nainital

Photo by Bhanvi Satija

We wish that there was an appropriate word in the English Language which could be the equivalent for ‘chatpata’ and no, ‘spicy’ is not chatpata, its teekha. Even though there is no appropriate translation for this flavour, Chatpata Chicken is a must try for its rich gravy and perfectly balanced flavors. When you ask for Chatpata, you get Chatpata. Best eaten with a butter roti or naan.

#SpoonRecommends: The Dhaba on Mall Road, Nainital

4. Pan Fried Noodles with Chicken

Nainital

Photo by Bhanvi Satija

This is one dish that made us fall for it completely. Loaded with Noodles and Chicken it is a must try for all those who love Chinese food and not to worry, there is a vegetarian counterpart available for this one too. Added to its generous filling of chicken is the variety of vegetables that the dish contains, which add to its glory. This dish is a must try at Machan on the Mall Road. (In fact, if you are a Chinese food lover, Machan has many more delicious options for you)

5. Victorian Pastry

Nainital

Photo by Bhanvi Satija

Victorian Pastry is a special kind of pastry that resembles a pastry sandwich – it has a layer of fluffy cream in between two thick pieces of cake topped with a glaze or a syrup. For all those who prefer more cake and less cream or icing in their baked products this dessert is sure to win your heart. Available at most bakeries in Nainital, however, it should definitely be eaten at Sakley’s Restaurant. Sakley’s is a small restaurant towards the end of the Mall Road but its vintage ambience is what makes you want to eat your Victorian Pastry while sitting inside, looking at the beautiful Naini Lake in front of you.

While there are several other places to try and dishes that one must eat while in Nainital, this list is what our favorites included and these are dishes that will definitely take us back to that beautiful place.

We are planning on buying our retirement homes near Mall Road, when are you booking your tickets to Nainital?